Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a tub/shower combo surround, most look like this. Tile stops somewhere along the wall, maybe all the way to the ceiling.

Most of the time, when a ceiling is tiled as well, it's for a shower stall, where there is a difference in ceiling height, which serves to demarcate the shower from the rest of the bathroom. I always thought it would look awkward to tile a ceiling over a tub/shower, because of the uniform ceiling plane.

I found this picture, and it doesn't look all that strange to me.

What do you K&B experts think.

Disclaimer: These are not photos of my work, just pics I boosted from the interweb for illustrative purposes.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I have don't ceiling tile on occasion but never over a tub. I personally prefer to take my tile all the way to the ceiling I think it looks better and it is better for the moisture.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have don't ceiling tile on occasion but never over a tub. I personally prefer to take my tile all the way to the ceiling I think it looks better and it is better for the moisture.
Explain the moisture thing, please. I havn't heard that.

I would have assumed that tile all around would be the best for moisture, but I'm not really an expert on this sort of thing.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I've tiled plenty of ceilings. I use Shluter profiles so there is no need for bullnose or exposed tile edges. Preference I guess, I don't like paint in the shower.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
The idea itself isn't a bad one. Tile is more resistant to moisture from those long showers condensing on cold walls. But, it's not really needed for functional reasons if there is adequate ventilation. That leaves it as a decorative choice. Like a lot of things, if it's done well, and integrated into the total look, it will look fine. The biggest reason that pic looks "funny" to most people is the choice of tile contrasts so sharply with the paint color. If the paint were darker, and the room done as more of a jewel box, it would look a lot more integrated. The problem is the total design, not the tile on the ceiling.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bathroom looks awful, but like you said, it could be colors.

Unfortunately, it was the only pic I could find of a tub/shower with ceiling tile on short notice. They don't sem to be that common.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Seven-Delta-FortyOne said:
Explain the moisture thing, please. I havn't heard that. I would have assumed that tile all around would be the best for moisture, but I'm not really an expert on this sort of thing.
Depending on the ventilation you have moisture loves to build up on the walls inside the shower and the steam being hot rises and collects high on the walls and even ceiling. It's fairly common to have the paint on the walls above the tile bubble or even to get mold or mildew build up.

If you have really good ventilation and higher ceilings that allow the moisture to disperse it's not that big of a deal but most bathrooms don't have adequate ventilation.

·
Renaissance Man
6,818 Posts
As long as you don't contrast the ceiling color too much, tiled ceilings don't have to look that bad.

I would agree however, the standard would be to the ceiling for me...

Attachments

·
Registered
216 Posts
I would be scared in the long run of that vent fan being in the tile because people never change the motors when they start making noise and the vibration could make the tile get loose.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Depending on the ventilation you have moisture loves to build up on the walls inside the shower and the steam being hot rises and collects high on the walls and even ceiling. It's fairly common to have the paint on the walls above the tile bubble or even to get mold or mildew build up.

If you have really good ventilation and higher ceilings that allow the moisture to disperse it's not that big of a deal but most bathrooms don't have adequate ventilation.
The moisture was the reason I had originally thought about tile on the ceiling. I don't like the mold that always seems to grow just above the tile on high use showers, and I think this one will get some decent use (kids). However, I'm afraid it will look weird.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,609 Posts
The moisture was the reason I had originally thought about tile on the ceiling. I don't like the mold that always seems to grow just above the tile on high use showers, and I think this one will get some decent use (kids). However, I'm afraid it will look weird.
X2 for the overall design makes or breaks it. Partial wall, full wall, or wall&ceiling all can work. If you do wall and ceiling with darkish tile and light paint scheme for the rest of the room, it WILL look like you're walking into a cave.

AFAIK, steam showers are always 100% tiled, and they look fine. You just have to get a good tile design.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I think the tiled ceiling looks great, I also love having a light in the ceiling of a shower. I think the only thing that turns people away from tiling the ceiling is the cost.

Reactions: hdavis

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
It's pretty much been an industry standard for the longest time to cap the tile above the shower head.
Tiled ceilings been popular in the 70-80s not to mention now using water-resistant gypsum 1/2" backing board on the ceiling, joist should be framed 12" OC unless 5/8" board is used.

·
Registered
15,593 Posts
I have a master bath in the works where the client has a neo angle stall with pony walls. She asked for tile to the ceiling and then over the ceiling in the stall. After a looking at it in sketch up I steered her away because I thought it looked funny.

An alcove enclosure could work but.....Nearly all modern baths I do we eliminate the soffit as long as we dont have a trap from an above bath using the space. It increases air flow to a fan which I make a mandatory. I wire it to go on with the shower light so there is no choice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts