Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Building and Remodeling
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to look at this crawlspace a few days ago. Unbelievable rot in the rim board, sill plate (not pt) and ends of floor joists in every corner of home, and also end of the center beam is almost completely rotted away. Went outside to see where the water is coming from and i noticed that where the brick coming 3' above grade meets the siding there is no flashing at all. Water is just flowing behind the brick. Customer wants me to give them a price to jack everything and replace all rot. Would you guys mess with this? I am definately getting them to sign some kind of waiver. Oh and they are replacing the siding and flashing everything themselves. Thanks
Ryan

Attachments

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Oh and they are replacing the siding and flashing everything themselves.
How are you going to insure this won't happen again if you don't do the flashing?

Even with a signed waiver, if you replace all the damage and make it look all nice, and the h/o improperly flashes it and it happens again - who are they going to come after?

·
Official CT Greeter!
1,397 Posts
I agree, unless you do the flashing it will be your fault, i wouldn't even bother with a waiver, tell them you are doing all or none:thumbsup:

·
Contractor
4,733 Posts
when you said they're replacing the siding and flashing, you're not talking about the flashing between the block and sill plate right? so what if they replace the siding and any flashing associated with the siding job-the rot repair can be fixed all by itself.

are you sure about the source of the water? the block in the top picture looks wet. is there plastic on the crawlspace floor? maybe the humidity in the crawlspace is too high b/c of no vapor barrier, collecting on the fiberglass and transferring to the wood...which leads to rot. If that's the case, my bid WOULD include proper steps to correct the moisture intrusion.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts