Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
hurtlocker
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was working in my basement the other day
hanging sheetrock, I do very little sheetrocking
I do have a lift , but I still have to lift it up I dont have the new lifter thing up to the lift
i rocked the night before went down the next morning 630 everything was set up all i had yto do was lift up the 5/8 x 12 onto the lift
I am not warm or motivated yet
what should i do ask my wife to help:no:
Bad working history with wife
I laughed would rather ask my wife, osama bin laden, kim jong il, or Oprah to help
I decided 10 minutes of rage against the machine would do the trick
Can you work with your spouse?
or would you rather have a terrorist help?

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
My wife is a great gal. She is also a project manager (another profession).
We talk about her running Silvertree, might be great.
But in the past we have clashed, 2 different styles. She's smarter and more responsible than I am, but we tried to paint a room one time and it was rough going.
Maybe:shutup:

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Check out my tread in carpentry "Our house in Colorado".

I have not asked my wife for much help since then.

The story that she loves to tell is when she was carrying one end of a sheet of metal roofing down and around to the back of the house.

She clipped her calf with the corner of the sheet. At first glance it just looked like a scratch to me.

"It builds character " rolls of my lips as if she was one of the guys.

No stitches but she seems to be proud of the scar when she tells the story.

Have you ever wished you could gather up some words and stuff them back in your neck? :whistling

Was there an answer to your question in there?

·
Banned
846 Posts
I think most guys would be willing to work with their wives if they could set it up like this. A guy on a horse w/ a shotgun will do wonders to keep bitching down and productivity up.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,624 Posts
My wife, physical labor. Puleeeeze. She can't lift worth a damn. But she can keep the household running smooth. Couldn't live without her. Couldn't work with her though.

·
EVIL GENIUS
2,546 Posts
Bin Laden is tall, I choose him and fill his funny headwear with drywall screws for easy acess.
Bad idea, when they blow themselves up those screws go flying like shrapnel. That would be like having a pipe bomb as a helper.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
My wife and I have spent coutless hundreds of hours working together when we were younger and doing remodels of our homes or real estate investment properties.

Any employee I have had would have a hard time keeping up with her and producing the quality of work.

·
semi-skilled laborer
2,075 Posts
Work is how I get away from my wife, I dont want her working with me and ruining that.
She once told me that painting was easy, that all I did all day was move my arm up and down with a roller. So when fall came I made her help me carry all my left over latex paint to the basement for storage untill spring. She picked up one 5 that was half empty. I said no, any guy I ever worked with better carry 2 at a time or he is gone. So she grabs 2 full buckets, makes it about 12 feet through the yard, and quits. I tell her, you mean to tell me you cant even get 2 of them to the basement door, let alone down the stairs. Her reply was that carrying paint is not painting. I guess the magic paint moving elfs carry my paint for me.

·
General Contractor
8,090 Posts
Neighbors Carol and Donna, decided to help theirs husbands out and do some carpentery work on theirs house. Carol, who was nailing down house siding, would reach into her nail pouch, pull out a nail and either toss it over her shoulder or nail it in. Donna, figuring this was worth looking into and asked "Why are you throwing those nails away?" Carol explained "When I pull a nail out of my pouch, about half of them have the head on the wrong end and I throw them away" Donna got completely upset and yelled "You moron! Those nails aren't defective! They're for the other side of the house!" :thumbsup:

·
The Duke
14,746 Posts
I had my wife working with me for a very short time. She says I'm an ******* to work for.

However, this is my side of the story. I asked her to get me a few 2x6's and I pointed to a bunk on a small knoll about 100 feet from the building. A few minutes pass by and I begin to wonder where she is. I see her measuring the length of the 2x's :blink:

Mind you, it's the ONLY bunk of lumber.

She finally comes in and says "I couldn't find any that were 6' long, they're all 8'

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
I had my wife help me with painting my bedroom ONCE, after she rolled right over the outlets (She said "I wanted them to match the walls.") I couldn't take it. I told her to grab the Bon-Bons and plant her butt on the couch, I'll let her know when it's done. Never again.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I had my wife help me with painting my bedroom ONCE, after she rolled right over the outlets (She said "I wanted them to match the walls.") I couldn't take it. I told her to grab the Bon-Bons and plant her butt on the couch, I'll let her know when it's done. Never again.
I have a simular story, but in reverse. My wife wanted the wash done, so I made sure to put the colors in with the whites, last time I did the wash!!!:thumbsup:

·
Tech Geek
2,654 Posts
Yeah I did that with the coffee, I made it so strong she gagged. :laughing: I haven't made another pot in 10 years. Now she makes me a cup and put's it on the nightstand before she even wakes me up. No wonder I married her.:thumbsup:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
56,624 Posts
I did the laundry thing and after a few years she let me do the laundry again:w00t:, haven't done it in at least a decade now.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
If i catch my wife in the right mood, she is a better help than my guys, However if she is not in the mood, we will be at each other pretty quickly with her saying things like, "dont talk to me like that, i am not one of the guys":blink:. G

1 - 20 of 25 Posts