Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I've been blasting on a part time basis to gain experience mostly for family, friends, and business I worked with in the past. It's time to grow the business to pay my rent, myself and a helper if things go well.

Most of the business to start will be paint, rust, and mill scale removal. Mostly automotive and machinery. Boats and fire remediation may come my way but I will not be actively seeking that type of work initially.

I already have 1 pallet of starolite and 1 pallet of soda.

Delivery is a flat fee so I am planning on about six pallets. I'm thinking:

2 pallets fine crushed glass for auto bodies
3 pallets medium crushed glass for general rust removal
1 pallet starblast for mill scale
1/2 pallet walnut shells for delicate autobody

I can pick-up black beauty at a local bagging plant for the same price as crushed glass. I don't care for what looks like embedded material left behind though. Thanks in advance for your opinions/advice.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Good to have variety. I have never used starblast, but I think glass does pretty much the same so one or the other might be enough unless you have never tried one and want to see which you prefer. Only thing I would say is to be cautious of whole pallet orders of anything new to you. Every company has its own way of stating grit size so what you are calling "fine" glass may be what I got as medium. You may want to ask for a zip lock bag of each to see what it actually is and when you buy from another company you have to do that again. With the shell I would not get any before trying some in your pot. I found only 30/60 from composite materials will run for me and I remember another guy in here that had the same trouble from too large a grit of shell. Maybe pay for a 25 pound sample to try before you order your pallets first or you could get stuck with 20 bags.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts