Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What is your general reaction to the name 'ape' and logo?

• Very Negative

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Somewhat Negative

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Neutral

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Somewhat Positive

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Very Positive

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently transitioned tree work to used equipment sales. Have been selling skid steers, stump grinders, etc for the lasts 3 years and that's the direction I'm wanting to keep going in the future. My next step is to develop an advertising campaign including business name, logo and website. I'm keeping my arbor pro name and going to use Arbor Pro Equipment or 'APE' for short. I already have the domain name www.sdape.com secured (no website built yet though) and created a first draft of the attached 4x6 dealer sticker to put on equipment I sell. I'm thinking it could also be the basis for business cards, the website look and other things. I'm trying to create a business image that evokes contractors, farmers, etc to "join the equipment evolution". Gorillas rule the 'ape' family so I'm hoping equipment buyers will be able to make the link between my business name and a tough and inquisitive gorilla and a tough and interesting piece of machinery such as a skid steer.

Just wondering if I could get a little feedback on, first and foremost, the name 'APE' - whether that's good, bad or indifferent and, second, the logo/advertising scheme. My wife hates the name and the use of a gorilla to portray me and the business so I said I'd get some more opinions before doing anything with it. (Between you and me, I think folks who are looking to buy equipment think a bit diffently than housewives do). From an advertising standpoint, I don't care if a housewife likes the name and image so long as iit appeals to contractors and farmers. That said, if it's not entirely positive among contractors, I will certainly look at other names and images.

Give it to me straight - don't sugar coat it. That won't help me any. Thanks! AP

Attachments

·
Registered
785 Posts
arbor pro said:
I recently transitioned tree work to used equipment sales. Have been selling skid steers, stump grinders, etc for the lasts 3 years and that's the direction I'm wanting to keep going in the future. My next step is to develop an advertising campaign including business name, logo and website. I'm keeping my arbor pro name and going to use Arbor Pro Equipment or 'APE' for short. I already have the domain name www.sdape.com secured (no website built yet though) and created a first draft of the attached 4x6 dealer sticker to put on equipment I sell. I'm thinking it could also be the basis for business cards, the website look and other things. I'm trying to create a business image that evokes contractors, farmers, etc to "join the equipment evolution". Gorillas rule the 'ape' family so I'm hoping equipment buyers will be able to make the link between my business name and a tough and inquisitive gorilla and a tough and interesting piece of machinery such as a skid steer. Just wondering if I could get a little feedback on, first and foremost, the name 'APE' - whether that's good, bad or indifferent and, second, the logo/advertising scheme. My wife hates the name and the use of a gorilla to portray me and the business so I said I'd get some more opinions before doing anything with it. (Between you and me, I think folks who are looking to buy equipment think a bit diffently than housewives do). From an advertising standpoint, I don't care if a housewife likes the name and image so long as iit appeals to contractors and farmers. That said, if it's not entirely positive among contractors, I will certainly look at other names and images. Give it to me straight - don't sugar coat it. That won't help me any. Thanks! AP
Do gorillas really rule the ape family? My bets would be on a tribe of bonobos.

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
Sorry, but I'm with your wife on this one. An ape image implies great strength and little intelligence---and not a thing to do with tools. Working with tools is one thing that sets man apart from the apes!

I think I'd look for domain like APequipment, with the emphasis being on the equipment if that's where you want to head. Dunno where the "SD" portion comes from, and it doesn't make sense in your overall vision of branding for your future. Edited to say: I see the SD comes from your location in South Dakota. Putting that in a web address is redundant for a local business, so I'd try to find something without that.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Personally....I think it kicks a$$.

I wasn't sure until I saw the PDF.

IMO, having the full business name right under the acronym is key. It illustrates the obvious reason for the name, and that you ran with it....to what I see as a positive image.

I think the "first impression" angle of marketing is far more important to housewife initiated service calls. Businessmen....farmers, contractors,etc. ,IMO are far more sensitive to other things...reputation, quality, price.

Keep in mind this is from a man with little to no marketing savvy or concern.:thumbsup:

Best of luck.

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
Sorry, but I'm with your wife on this one. An ape image implies great strength and little intelligence---and not a thing to do with tools. Working with tools is one thing that sets man apart from the apes!

I think I'd look for domain like APequipment, with the emphasis being on the equipment if that's where you want to head. Dunno where the "SD" portion comes from, and it doesn't make sense in your overall vision of branding for your future. Edited to say: I see the SD comes from your location in South Dakota. Putting that in a web address is redundant for a local business, so I'd try to find something without that.
IDK....Caterpillar? Ditch Witch?

And ....Gorilla's of the Mist? Pretty smart to let Goodall hang with them, do her work, have movies made, protect their habitiat......smart like ape!

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
It irrationally bothers me that the ape is laying down.

Other than that I like it.
Maybe if he was reclined...you have a gripe.

But he is leaned forward, engaged, with that sweet yet confident countenance, almost saying, "hey, check these machines out man....they're pretty sweet huh?"

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
IDK....Caterpillar?

And you don't see them using a caterpillar turning into a butterfly on their ads, do ya?

Ditch Witch?

You're just actively reaching now. ;)

And ....Gorilla's of the Mist? Pretty smart to let Goodall hang with them, do her work, have movies made, protect their habitiat......smart like ape! "

:laughing:

I think the ape is looking for a way out of the SD snow to the nearest tall tower to climb, blonde optional. :)

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
IDK....Caterpillar?

And you don't see them using a caterpillar turning into a butterfly on their ads, do ya?

I don't imagine caterpillars mining iron ore either...:whistling

Ditch Witch?
Nor the wicked bit(h of the west sweeping her way into burying 2,000 yards of sewer line....:whistling

You're just actively reaching now. ;)
I'm bored and lazy. It's pissing freezing rain outside and half my crew has the flu anyway...you're stuck with me:thumbup:
And ....Gorilla's of the Mist? Pretty smart to let Goodall hang with them, do her work, have movies made, protect their habitiat......smart like ape! "

:laughing:

I think the ape is looking for a way out of the SD snow to the nearest tall tower to climb, blonde optional. :)
:laughing::laughing:
Blonde definitely "optional", female companion.....required!

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Hire a designer and make it properly. I dont lke it. The gorilla looks like he is flirting, friggen weird.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
keep it coming

thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming. Just to clarify - I buy and sell equipment nationwide but am based out of SD so that is why SD is in the domain name - that and I needed something to go with 'ape' as just that as a domain name was already taken.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I think APE is just fine

your selling to construction workers..so APE= strength

if you were selling to any other market id be iffy on the name

I like your sticker

APE is very easy to remember...that's important!

·
Particulate Filter
4,430 Posts
How are you marketing your business? Ive said it before and Ill say it again name your business for the keywords you want to rank for.

This week I got a new metric with my adwords campaign. I missed impressions by being outbid 30% of the time and being outranked for the keyword 60% of the time. I just cant see how online advertising wouldnt be a gigantic component of your business? How many people in a ten mile radius are going to buy a peice of heavy equipment. I would be targeting several states at least.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The name Ape won't appeal to women, as already noted, but that's okay since they don't rent much equipment. It's memorable and your target audience (men) will be fine with it. Not crazy about the card, but can't tell you why, sorry.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
reply to comments

The name is cool. The photo, not so much. I would try to get someone to draw a friendly, happy looking ape.
Thanks for your input. Interesting thing is - I thought the ape I used WAS a friendly, happy looking ape yet, one who depicted strength and curiosity at the same time.

I originally envisioned an ape (king kong-ish) playing with a skidsteer and mini-excavator - one in each hand - like they were toys but then scrapped that idea as I didn't want to portray the equipment I sell as 'toys'. I also didn't want to use an image that portrayed violence or aggression.

Again, I appreciate everyone's feedback. Please, keep it coming.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts