Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We remodeled this house from top to bottom and now all the little extra stuff at the end the homeowner pulls in some real winners... Needless to say we pulled our permit! Check this out we even brought how bad this deck was to the homeowners attention before we left and he didn't care at all!

Roof Property Automotive exterior Home House

Hardwood Wood Deck Floor Window

Floor Flooring Wood Hardwood Room

Wood Siding Roof Hardwood Plywood

Roof Siding Wood Wall Plywood

Wood Wood flooring Floor Flooring Hardwood

Water Light Infrastructure Sunlight Architecture

Those are 2x6 with chunks shoved under them to lift off the roof half aren't even touching anything and the end is even a 2x4 just dangling!
Oh not to even mention the biggest thing wrong here... No railing! Not even temp railings nothing nodda!

Attachments

·
Registered
541 Posts
You have to understand that house is worth about $35k and that's after you got done remodeling it. I've seen a lot worse around here.

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Don't worry, that POS roof is going to start leaking pretty soon, and the deck will have to come off to get to it anyway. Then it can be done right the second time.

Personally, I'd have torn off the roof and replaced it first. Either floating deck, or attached sleepers sealed to the roofing. Modified roll, sleepers over rafters screwed to them, sealed to the membrane with urethane ... make sure there roof can drain between everything, and reroute that stink pipe while that's going on.

Or at least they could have cut the ends of the boards straight. Added bonus: gets rid of the individual tags on the boards

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha he has a roofer up there before it went on...I don't know what he was torching because it still looked old to me ...sad thing is the inside is super nice with a nice view of the city

Urban area City Snow Human settlement Cityscape

Guy just turned into a cheapskate about stuff he's selling it anyways but it's sad 150k worth of work inside isnt going to be complimented by nice work outside

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I was doing a kitchen for some woman once. She had a deck that needed to be replaced. She didn't want to listen to me when I said I wouldn't jut sister up the bad parts. I came in a week later for some lunch list stuff and she had a new deck put together with drywall screws, even the ledger board was attached with them. "They came in and did it so fast, and they weren't expensive either!" She says....

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can thank mr. Holmes for the drywall screw guys haha... I swear if I tried to pull a job off like the the HO would lynch me!

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Haha he has a roofer up there before it went on...I don't know what he was torching because it still looked old to me ...sad thing is the inside is super nice with a nice view of the city

View attachment 109723

Guy just turned into a cheapskate about stuff he's selling it anyways but it's sad 150k worth of work inside isnt going to be complimented by nice work outside
Somebody did a new torch down roof up there? It looks as bad as the deck! Drip edge? Nah, we'll just hang it 3" into the gutter, it'll save $50 :laughing:

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
You can thank mr. Holmes for the drywall screw guys haha... I swear if I tried to pull a job off like the the HO would lynch me!
Holmes uses deck screws.

I still like to nail. Nails bend, screws snap. Ring shank HDG - holler at ya! I'll put them up against deck screws any day.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Homeowners direct quote " well these guys fixing up the roof will throw the deck on for half your price" I called bull cause his install price was my material price ... I'm gonna laugh when the inspector stops by again and makes it all come down. They don't have a permit or anything. When I looked into it we were to get consent from neighbor and permission from the city none were done. I also know the neighbor wouldn't sign off on it

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Haha that's what I thought. Maybe the guy took the torch up there to light his 50 cigarette butts he chucked everywhere!
I smoke (dumbest thing I have EVER done) - but you won't find a butt on my jobsite. Flick off head, dispose of properly. Haven't these people heard of a soda can?

I was doing a job for a contractor that said something about butts he found on the ground ... I found about 50 more. You think I smoked that many in 3 hours??? :no: Homeowner flicked them all over the place :laughing:

·
The Dude
2,388 Posts
Homeowners direct quote " well these guys fixing up the roof will throw the deck on for half your price" I called bull cause his install price was my material price ... I'm gonna laugh when the inspector stops by again and makes it all come down. They don't have a permit or anything. When I looked into it we were to get consent from neighbor and permission from the city none were done. I also know the neighbor wouldn't sign off on it
So the homeowner knew what was supposed to go on, and willfully ignored it for a half price bid by some hacks? If they have to tear it all off I'd laugh.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
So the homeowner knew what was supposed to go on, and willfully ignored it for a half price bid by some hacks? If they have to tear it all off I'd laugh.
We had a nearby HO who permitted a third car garage and contracted it to some yahoo. He poured a SOG with NO footing.... and jack hammered it up when the inspector came thru.:whistling

·
Theological Carpenter
78 Posts
I like how they left the bar code tags on the ends of the decking. It's little decorative touches like that which really set a craftsmen apart from the hacks.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Pulling tags and stickers off of everything is a big pet peeve of mine. To bad there's not enough methane to just out a little fire gravel and an eternal flame on top of the poo pipe hahahahaha

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MTN REMODEL LLC said:
We had a nearby HO who permitted a third car garage and contracted it to some yahoo. He poured a SOG with NO footing.... and jack hammered it up when the inspector came thru.:whistling
That's great I'd like to see his face when he was told to jack it back out

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
That's great I'd like to see his face when he was told to jack it back out
YEAH!!!!!.....

(I actually learned about it after the fact and it was all built... and was talking with the HO on something unassociated.)

Sorta interesting, the HO did not seem like he was bottom shopping or anything.... said the contractor was a very nice guy.... contractor ate the cost of course... and the HO paid 28K, which at the time seemed reasonable or a little high.

The rest of the garage was satisfactorilly built....

Always wondered how that occured.....

Maybe the contractor came from out of state

Do you think there are parts of the country that you can attach an attached structure to an existing home without any type of footing and just a 4-5" slab.??????? (No post stressed or anything)

PS:Our licensing is very easy/simplistic in Co.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts