Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
101 - 120 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
12,845 Posts
I had a customer try and hold back 100 bucks on a change order until they returned from a three week trip to Asia. This is after a full coil was donated to the cause and we did what was probably 300 dollars worth of work 20 years ago.

We said no, that's not acceptable. She just didn't get it.

In those days, that 100 bucks was the different between eating and not eating.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
I had a customer try and hold back 100 bucks on a change order until they returned from a three week trip to Asia. This is after a full coil was donated to the cause and we did what was probably 300 dollars worth of work 20 years ago.

We said no, that's not acceptable. She just didn't get it.

In those days, that 100 bucks was the different between eating and not eating.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Straight up scum

·
Registered
9,595 Posts
I went and looked at somebody’s window that had a broken sash balancer in it. I happened to have a pair in my truck. Exact size.

Thought I was doing the guy a favor.

I got a check from them today with a note.

I responded with this picture.

Hopefully when their house sells for 500 K, $160 won’t break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I once wrote “don’t ever call me again” on the check when I taped it to their front door

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
Tell him next time you'll pretend to go to the store and eat a sandwich around the corner for an hour so he feels like he got his money's worth.

·
1 on 2
Mason
686 Posts
I thought he communicated his disappointment quite effectively. Stated it outright. You were only there 20 minutes total. Wah,wah,wah...

I think SHE may disagree with his assessment of the situation. She seems to understand how business is conducted. Trip charge, etc.

That, and she doesn't want you talking about her, lol.

Maybe she reads CT. 😂😂

Blessings and prosperity...

·
Artist and not a curator
14,331 Posts
I thought he communicated his disappointment quite effectively. Stated it outright. You were only there 20 minutes total. Wah,wah,wah...

I think SHE may disagree with his assessment of the situation. She seems to understand how business is conducted. Trip charge, etc.

That, and she doesn't want you talking about her, lol.

Maybe she reads CT. 😂😂

Blessings and prosperity...
Or she understands finding a decent handyman is damned near impossible and she realizes her dumbass husband just made her life a lot more difficult for a measley 160 bucks.

·
1 on 2
Mason
686 Posts
Or she understands finding a decent handyman is damned near impossible and she realizes her dumbass husband just made her life a lot more difficult for a measley 160 bucks.
That goes hand in hand with paragraph 2. The rest has lol's and laughy faces.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,502 Posts
Worst customers for me: Specialty Contractors.

Only conflict I’ve ever had was with a concrete contractor, and an HVAC guy.

Both working on houses they owned and we’re planning to rent and/or flip

Both clueless, incompetent, inept, and complete failures at their attempt to GC a project.

One bichhed about the price, one (pretended) he didn’t understand how I could not warranty the trash lighting fixtures he bought from HD when they tripped all the AFCI’s. 🙄

I won’t work for flippers anymore. Bottom feeding incompetents, right down there with real estate agents.

·
1 on 2
Mason
686 Posts
I was just telling my next door neighbor, while tuckpointing his chimney gratis, what a cheap bastid I am. I'm a terrible customer for any tradesman. Not intentionally, but I am.

I end up doing all the annoying things people do to us without realizing it till later. Gives me a little perspective when customer acts up a bit. Put the shoe on the other foot.

Once I realize, I always apologize and tip accordingly.

Some people are just control freaks.

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts

Only conflict I’ve ever had was with a concrete contractor, and an HVAC guy.

Both working on houses they owned and we’re planning to rent and/or flip

Both clueless, incompetent, inept, and complete failures at their attempt to GC a project.

One bichhed about the price, one (pretended) he didn’t understand how I could not warranty the trash lighting fixtures he bought from HD when they tripped all the AFCI’s. 🙄

I won’t work for flippers anymore. Bottom feeding incompetents, right down there with real estate agents.
On MEPs if it's a new build or full gut - we have been known to do those ourselves if it's our property, although the one I'm looking at gutting this time I'm just going to call in my electrician, plumber and hvac. Concrete, framing, cornice, roofing trim and cabinets always ourselves

But other than that on a remodel or service work I use my normal subs on my house, rentals, flip whatever. Trust and less of my time on management is worth the money. Painter and Mason were the last to work for me on my own place, no deals asked or given.

101 - 120 of 122 Posts