Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
My brother lives in lambertville. There's some coin there for sure.
Compared to other North Jersey areas? not even close. Many people who moved there came from NYC, many gay people to be close to New Hope.

Most are the wanna be rich people.

I dont know man, 1200 sq ft crapbox selling for almost a mil. That's not cheap. Lots of artists and alternatives, yes. Mix of younger self mades and kids living off daddy's $$$.
Theres money there, not Deal Nj money but some money. There are definitely some wannbes but also some that have the bucks. New hope / solebury area across the river in PA is pretty well bucked up too.
Lots of hot chicks in the newhope/lambertville area too!!!

·
test
3,333 Posts
I dont know man, 1200 sq ft crapbox selling for almost a mil. That's not cheap. Lots of artists and alternatives, yes. Mix of younger self mades and kids living off daddy's $$$.
Sounds just like Vancouver BC.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I once had a builder tell me he was going to drill all the framing for wiring. He spent the better part of 3 days doing so.

His method was to set up a rotary laser and mark the face of each stud. Then use a square to extend the pencil mark to the side of each stud. THEN.... us a tape measure to mark the center of the stud at the pencil mark.

THEN, and ONLY THEN, would he drill the hole precisely in line with all the other holes and perfectly centered in the stud.

His reasoning? It would take less wire between boxes, so I should give him a break on price.

So he spent three frikkin days doing this.......... and I still didn't give him a nickel off the price.
He could have just spent 5 minutes and made a jig if he was going to be that anal about it...

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
I've had decent luck with millineals, late 30s. Second homes except for one, and they just borrow whatever it cost it seems. I'm 38 and technically a millineal but I'm not a fan of debt lol

Got to break the early of late and early texts and thinking anyone's going to be at their beck and call, then it's easy

·
Super Moderator
28,886 Posts
If you believe inflation is coming, debt is good, as you're paying it back with confetti.
That won't help you if your bills are set up for 150k and your income goes to 50k lol

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
Just curious what your worst type of customer is.. i dont mean “ the one’s that dont pay “..
The two that consistently give me trouble are Asians and single woman between the ages of 40 and 70
Asians always think you are trying to rip them off and always seem to try and nickel and dime.
Single woman over the age of 40 and under 70 are also problematic. I think part of it is due to them being single and being afforded all the time in the world to focus on little things and even invent issues because they are bored.
Assuming all women between 40-70 are housewives who live off alimony?

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I had the worst customer experience I've ever had this week but fortunately I declined the job so it was only 20 minutes of my life. Nigerian couple new to Canada, not sure if their ethnicity has anything to do with it but I wonder if it's a cultural difference that made them come across as so rude. I talked to them on the phone on Tuesday night and happened to be working s few streets away from them Wednesday so I said I'd stop by in the morning.

Went and looked at this basement finishing job which I was told involved framing in a bedroom. I got there and it's actually going to be adding a kitchen and moving a laundry room as well. I tell them I'm booking 6 weeks. They are unhappy. I tell them their 100amp panel is full and I need an electrician to have a look at the logistics of adding a second range. They are unhappy. They tell me it's best the electrician looks at it that afternoon. I tell them unlikely but I'll let them know. Nope today is best for us so let's do it today.... I tell them If we do move plumbing and electrical around we will need to do some drywall patches. They disagree, it will be easy and require no drywall work apparently according to them. They want an estimate within 3 days. I tell I will do my best to give them a rough idea by then but we have a lot of questions to answer before we can even start thinking about a permit or talk about cost. The lady immediately tells me she Hope's the price will be negotiable! I haven't said anything about a price yet and already I'm fighting about money.

I told them I needed to get going. Calmed down for a couple of hours so I could call them to tell them their job isn't a good fit for my company and best of luck with their project. 🇳🇴:eek:

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I think it's part cultural. Nigeria, Liberia, and whatever else is over there are well known for playing the bottom dollar game. That's the consensus anyhow. With the added "get you to your bottom dollar and then still won't pay in the end". The operate like, if you don't know who the sucker in the room is, it's probably you. And yes they are very direct and come off as rude quite often, that's just the way they are. I don't think it's intended to be rude. It's like they are in a hurry for everything and get straight to the point and don't have time for chit chat.

I did a roof for a Nigerian lady and she came out about 2 in the afternoon yelling at us because we were banging banging banging and she was trying to sleep.

All my guys just looked at me and looked at eachother like.. how do u supposed we get this back together without banging?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I went and looked at somebody’s window that had a broken sash balancer in it. I happened to have a pair in my truck. Exact size.

Thought I was doing the guy a favor.

I got a check from them today with a note.

I responded with this picture.

Hopefully when their house sells for 500 K, $160 won’t break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Remodel
31,114 Posts
I went and looked at somebody’s window that had a broken sash balancer in it. I happened to have a pair in my truck. Exact size.

Thought I was doing the guy a favor.

I got a check from them today with a note.

I responded with this picture.

Hopefully when their house sells for 500 K, $160 won’t break the bank.

Beware of people who steal office supplies from work?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Good job Mord. I set a $300. check on fire & let it fall in flame @ his feet on his front porch. Wouldn’t hesitate to do it again

Mike

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Gee Tom, what's it worth to have your window fixed?
There was a bit of foreshadowing when I was talking to the husband, and the wife returned from the grocery store.

She commented on the price of some inconsequential food item.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t give two craps if milk is $.50 more at one place than another.

I do admit I did send the picture of the note in case she didn’t know he sent it.

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Did you rip up the check?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

81 - 100 of 122 Posts