Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what your worst type of customer is.. i dont mean “ the one’s that dont pay “..
The two that consistently give me trouble are Asians and single woman between the ages of 40 and 70
Asians always think you are trying to rip them off and always seem to try and nickel and dime.
Single woman over the age of 40 and under 70 are also problematic. I think part of it is due to them being single and being afforded all the time in the world to focus on little things and even invent issues because they are bored.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I had the worst customer experience I've ever had this week but fortunately I declined the job so it was only 20 minutes of my life. Nigerian couple new to Canada, not sure if their ethnicity has anything to do with it but I wonder if it's a cultural difference that made them come across as so rude. I talked to them on the phone on Tuesday night and happened to be working s few streets away from them Wednesday so I said I'd stop by in the morning.

Went and looked at this basement finishing job which I was told involved framing in a bedroom. I got there and it's actually going to be adding a kitchen and moving a laundry room as well. I tell them I'm booking 6 weeks. They are unhappy. I tell them their 100amp panel is full and I need an electrician to have a look at the logistics of adding a second range. They are unhappy. They tell me it's best the electrician looks at it that afternoon. I tell them unlikely but I'll let them know. Nope today is best for us so let's do it today.... I tell them If we do move plumbing and electrical around we will need to do some drywall patches. They disagree, it will be easy and require no drywall work apparently according to them. They want an estimate within 3 days. I tell I will do my best to give them a rough idea by then but we have a lot of questions to answer before we can even start thinking about a permit or talk about cost. The lady immediately tells me she Hope's the price will be negotiable! I haven't said anything about a price yet and already I'm fighting about money.

I told them I needed to get going. Calmed down for a couple of hours so I could call them to tell them their job isn't a good fit for my company and best of luck with their project. :no::eek:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Worst customers for me, know it all alpha male type dudes. Best customers, single women or women that do the majority of the decision making around the house. I find it much easy to keep control of the job when the customer accepts they dont understand it versus some dude who's talking like he could do it and it's easy yet he's hired me to do it for him.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
Common theme of bad customers in my life - 'Arsty' Females', The ones who associate with being "artists" all show and no comprehension of reality. Now real creatives adn true artists .... Usually a treat to work with cause the understand 'making stuff'. Picky but deal with that by doing top end work.

Die hard I'm sticking to the Union kind of people, the perpetual victim types. World is out to get 'em and sooner or later no matter how good they feel about our services .... they turn and bite the hand working for them.

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Single women between 40 and 70 are my best customers. Or when they make the decisions when they are married.

The fact I'm sexy could have something to do with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,989 Posts
My problems are always the Mujibars. They think everything is way too much. So I just shoot 'em an off-the-cuff guesstimate and never hear from them again. I don't bother putting together a proper bid as they only want to pay 1/5 of my price.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Worst customers for me, know it all alpha male type dudes. Best customers, single women or women that do the majority of the decision making around the house. I find it much easy to keep control of the job when the customer accepts they dont understand it versus some dude who's talking like he could do it and it's easy yet he's hired me to do it for him.
Rich dudes that you said you don't like are my best and usually repeat clients. Ate lunch with one Wedensday:thumbsup:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Rich dudes that you said you don't like are my best and usually repeat clients. Ate lunch with one Wedensday:thumbsup:
Wasn't me that said I don't like rich dudes I dont think. Just the overtly alpha male type that are too dumb to realize how dumb they are.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
The ones that award you the work and then cancel as soon as you show up. On bigger jobs with a contract this is not a problem since they have to cancel by registered mail and thet should have a down payment in the game

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
99.9 percent of my clientele are female I prefer it that way. I was once on a job, couple weeks into it husband comes in the morning starts asking questions what the plan was. Wife comes in says to him "What the f**k are you doing talking to him? All you do is pay him and shut up."

He walked away with his head down and I never saw him again.

I get along great and have pretty close relationships with females. Their male counterparts need to stay out of the way and mind their own business. That's how most of my jobs are.

All my business is WOM so I don't get much of "worst type customers" but if I ever clashed with any it was the wealthy male who try and make themselves relevant until I or the wife put them in their place.

1 - 20 of 122 Posts