Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Kowboy
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t usually post pictures of jobs until I have them under contract, but since this is the worst rod failure I’ve ever seen, exceptions must be made. Unusual for southern Florida, this is 2cm granite with a plywood substrate and a 2cm front edge build-up. I can’t help believing that after the sink seal failed, (no mechanical fasteners) the saturated plywood contributed to the severe oxidation of the bedded rod. Notice how the raw cut edge of the bottom of the backsplash has sucked up water creating efflorescence on the splash face. That’ll take diamonds to remove and repolish.

If it were only the front rod, an apron sink installation would solve things nicely. In fact, I’m waiting on a sink to do that very repair on another project. Unfortunately, there isn’t enough stone in the rear, even if that were repairable, for that solution here.

Fortunately there is a pantry countertop with matching color and edge profile that can be sacrificed for the replacement here. At least that’s the only way I’m touching this thing.

Rodding is old school, obsolete, and unnecessary with today’s transportation tools. Why let a fabricator put a time bomb in your countertop?

Attachments

·
Kowboy
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What metal is used for the rodding.
Stone top fabricators are supposed to use stainless steel or fiberglas and bed the rod in epoxy. Instead, to save money, they use cold steel and polyester. Unlike epoxy, polyester is water resistant, not water proof. The water penetrates, oxides the rod, and poof.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts