Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanting to post something and get some talk goin here......

Everyone has had a Job or a Boss that stands out in their memory as being a HUGE PAIN! Maybe a Job that nothing ever went right, or a Jerk of a Boss in the past that really was an IDIOT!

I have a few stories, so I will just pick one......

I worked for some guys once that Painted the Cookie Cutter Houses as we call them. Big subdivision that only have 3 different houses in the whole place, they want the trim the same color as the walls, just a standard plain bad paint job.....that I believe was paying like .80 a sq ft. So they were getting what they paid for really.....A quick job, Cheap!

Anyway these guys would send a crew of 10 guys thru caulking and putting at opposite ends of the house. Then an hour or 2 later another crew came thru with an airless and blasted everything with a tinted primer. And even had a water hose to flood the floors, to keep the paint off the floor I guess. I know everybody does their jobs different, but the way these guys did it was just wrong in my opinion.

What really stumped them was that the caulk was causing the paint to crack on the base boards and outside of the jambs. They had no clue why it was doing this. I tried to tell them, but they thought I was an idiot I guess, but the caulking was still wet when the put the paint on. Then the paint dried before the caulk did........and the caulking shrunk up after the paint was dry...........So the paint was cracking up! Not to hard to figure this out, or maybe I am wrong?

They did a few other odd things that I look back on now, but they made money at it. And the builders were happy, so they made it work!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Worst job (2), take your pick.
(1) Laser aligning track for overhead cranes at City of Ft. Laud. Sanitation Dept. Weeks spent hanging in a crane basket over 100's of tons of rotting garbage.
(2) Preparing 3 million gallon waste treatment aeration tanks for State inspection in the middle of the summer. Sediments collect on the bottom and have to be removed, this takes about a week and in the heat the s**t goes septic and starts bubbling emitting truly foul odors and gasses. The change in your pocket turns colors and brass belt buckles turn black.
Worst boss, hands down a Moslem. I worked salary but to recognize Christian holidays would go against Mohammad so I was docked pay for Christmas, Easter and a few others. I was making really good money so I stuck it out for almost 7 yrs., when the company that I led really went bigtime (500% increase in 6 yrs. and #2 in the industry) he tried to screw me and it was bye-bye time. I'm happy to say that the company, under his guidance, backslid to it's former performance.

·
Registered
212 Posts
My first job with a waterpoofing contractor when I was right out of high school. He set up a skyclimber on a five story building without checking out the roof parapet wall that the cables were bearing on. The block wall wasn't even tied to the building, so it started falling towards us as soon as we put pressure on them. We were lucky that we could dive into the garage under the building. You should have seen the mess after. The climber, along with some nice cars, were totalled. We used regular scaffolding after that, but the job never got much better. There was soft ground under the footings, so one of my jobs was to keep climbing down to crank on the jacks every now and then. I even remember watching from a ways above while some lady removed two braces so that she could drive out. There was another way she could have gone on the other side. We didn't even bother to yell at her, because it was just that kind of job.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
Fresh out of highschool, started working for a wallpaper/painting company. At first it was all good. Had 2 owners, one was a top-notch painter, the other was a hanger. We did all high end work for the big decorating firms here in StL. Did many big homes, including Ozzie Smith, Jack Clark, Bob Costas, Jackie Joyner-Kersey, Ken Hensley (from Uriah Heep for all you old hippies), Tom Lombardo (from Slayer for all you old head-bangers), Brett Hull, etc. The co. grew exponentially, way out of control for the owners. They were good craftsmen, but not businessmen. They started bringing in tons of cash, and didn't keep good books on it at all. So what did they do? The painter buys a tavern and slowly but surely became one of the bigger drunks I have ever seen. The hanger starts putting all his money up his nose. When after a couple years his nose is wrecked, he decides to switch over to the crack scene. It slid downhill real fast. Me and the other two better hangers jumped ship right before the DEA raid on the office, and the drunk owner slams into an ambulance after a rough night at the bar. I could go on with hours of stories of fiascos that went on in that company, but I think you get the point.

The latest I have heard on these guys, the hanger is living in a crack motel in the worst part of town, and the painter is being driven to jobs by his son, no license after 5 DUI's, and on house arrest at night and over the weekends.
Funny part is they are still in business, and the decorators love them. Probably because they hang paper for $14 a roll, and charge $20 per man hour. They taught me alot in how not to run a business.

·
Registered
11 Posts
used to work for the phone company, had to feed a fiber optic cable through a 30" sewer pipe, by my self on this job. it kept getting hung-up so i crawled into the pipe to feed it myself. bear in mind - im claustrophic - well, i went as far foward as i could and trying to crawl backward to get back out my jacket got real stuck on a bent part of the pipe. no room to take it off, couldnt go foward or backward, it was below freezing, and i really thought this was the end of my days...looking back, not a cool place to perish - in a sewer pipe. about an hour later the forman showed-up, i could hear him but he took a while before he found me. he got other workers on the site and they cleared a way for me to get out by continuing to crawl foward. they joked about it, but it cost the company a bit of change to dig open thje front of the sewer pipe.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
I had a summer job when I was in high school working for a small electrical supply company. Basically, I was a glorified delivery guy. Besides deliveries, I had to keep the warehouse clean, stocked, etc. I even ended up hanging wallpaper in the showroom. The owner/boss was the worst boss I ever worked for and a bad drunk too! Well, one of my daily delivery/pick-up runs was to the local liquor store to get his 26 oz. bottle of rye. He was such a nice guy that he was even screwing the "secretary" which he just happened to get pregnant!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts