Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my business 4 years ago, on my very first day on I was using a 2x4 to support a brick window sill I was rebuilding, I had it tap-con'd into place but decided to put in an extra screw, once I had drilled the hole I lowered the hammer drill to the ground by letting the cable slip through my hand, then the drill bit got caught on the bottom on my shorts ( it was August ) while still spinning an then went right into the back of my knee, I can't even begin to describe the feeling of that very hot masonry drill bit drilling into my leg, nothing I could do as I had built up a few weeks of work and didn't want to begin my new business venture by cancelling jobs, sent my buddy of to the corner store for ice, wrapped it in my shirt tied it to my leg and got it done,

Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
image-1282202243.jpg

I got this last summer removing old drywall with that chicken wire in it . I was sawzalling the ceiling out in sections and a piece hung on as I was pulling it down and it snagged me . 12 stitches and back to work in the afternoon

·
Super Moderator
24,718 Posts
Tendon popped off the tip of my knee cap & tore ACL...

Boy was that fun....

But wait, there's more, just not as good...:laughing:

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Laid up for 4 weeks with a torn chest muscle,spent 2 weeks On my back yelling in pain at the ceiling . It took over a year to completely heal..All In all I was out of work for a month and a half..A very tough time ...I wouldn't wish that pain or hardship on my ex wife!!!

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
I-beam to the head. 6 stitches & a concussion. Wear your hardhat guys.

I didnt even know it happened. Just thought i bumbed my head. It was raining, i was wet. Come around the corner and coworkers were freaking out. We initially glued it shut. That lasted a few hours. Had to stop on the way home to have a doc stitch it shut.

Nothing like the sound of ripping crazy glue off your head & the sound of them flushing out the wound (sounded like it was hitting my skull). I used to have pics 3 cell phones ago.

I bump my head alot....

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You don't really want to know.

·
Project Superintendent
2,525 Posts
Fell off 6 foot ladder, broke ankle, 5 years ago, Still gimping around from that one, even after surgery and PT.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Cut all 5 fingers on the tablesaw but didn't lose them.

Broke both arms on my dirtbike at age 12, required 20 stitches, 32 staples, 2 steel plates, and 11 screws in my right arm, and about 10 stitches in my left. I was out for over 2 months, took up my whole summer vacation.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,314 Posts
Fell from a 6' ladder broke my arm in several places. I now have 3 plates 12 screws and a piece of my hip in my wrist. It took almost a year to recover. I went 6 weeks before they decided to operate. Then it was PT and a lot of misery. It's been 13 years and I still only have about 60% movement! but I'm left handed and it was my right that got busted.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Not sliced, but smashed my finger open between a toilet and a dumpster. Wouldn't have qualified for the worst if it wasn't for the details.

I've generally been much safer since becoming a GC 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Maybe not the worst, but definately the most memorable, was when I was doing some overhead welding on a coal conveyor.
A piece of slag went into my coveralls, :eek: I didn't want to stop welding so I just wiggled a bit. It moved from my chest to my belly button. Still burning.
Still didn't want to stop the weld, it will stop burning soon, wrong, I wiggled a bit and it moved to my belt, wiggled a little and ..you can see where this is going.
I was out of commition for about three weeks.
Still have the scar, but will not be posting pics. :laughing:
I had to tell the foreman, in case I got an infection.
A hundred guy's knew within about five minutes. :censored:

·
Registered
10 Posts
One of most memorable was when I was installing a new slab exterior door back in England . I'd got the thing planed and hinges cut all I needed to do was mortise the lock set in .
I don't remember why but I had the door off its hinges and was straddling it and drilling down with a forshner bit for the lock ( the lock sets over there are a little bigger and not as easy to install ) .
Any way as I was drawing the drill out cleaning the back edge closest to me it jumped out and grabbed my little fella and wrapped my pants and a few splinters if wood in it , needless to say i panicked and put the drill in reverse and almost grabbed it again the other way . I dropped my pants and ran for the bathroom and rinsed him off . Looked the dog had shook it .
I took myself to the er where all the nurses had a laugh while pulling bits of fabric and splinters from it . Straight back to work but out of commission for a couple of weeks if you know what I mean

1 - 20 of 169 Posts