Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
worm drive

Used my lead-mans worm drive
just today it was around 45-50 degrees outside when I picked it up.

I haven't used one in a little while and I cut the customers hardwood floors back w/ it then turned around and freehand ripped a 1" x 4" for a header spacer over a sliding patio door we were installing (It came out straight as whistle)

I had to flip a breaker in the laundry room twice but the saw was on the same circuit as the HO's oxygen breathing machine thingy....

otherwise I enjoyed using it :thumbsup:

·
Gen. Contractor
3,194 Posts
When I framed In Texas everyone used sidewinders- they said it was because the worms tripped the power. It sucked at first but you kind of get used to the blade being on the wrong side. Much prefer a worm for cutting rafters/ compound angles.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
WE use sidewinders because we ain't got all day to wait on no damned wormy drive to cut a piece of wood.

I know ya'll in the South like to take your time but....
What in the hell are you talking about? Lol. My Mag77 LT is light, tons of power, and will rip through a 2x as fast as you can push it.

I have always preferred a worm drive over a circle saw. But....I am a strong believer in "to each their own".

·
Punching above his weight
8,879 Posts
I consider myself a pretty tough dude. I'll work in the rain if I have to. I'll work in the snow if I have to. Just do it, right?

That said, Carl Lewis couldn't call out faster than I could if I saw -30 on a thermometer.
My cousin does that stuff. Says it's the same as working in 10 degree weather. I don't believe him and I don't intend to find out if he's lying or not.

·
Sure, I can do that...
1,893 Posts
Porter Cable used to make a pretty fair left handed sidewinder saw. They had them for both hands, actually. Have not seen one in a few years, but they might still be available.

·
Shingler extraordinaire
9,258 Posts
I consider myself a pretty tough dude. I'll work in the rain if I have to. I'll work in the snow if I have to. Just do it, right?

That said, Carl Lewis couldn't call out faster than I could if I saw -30 on a thermometer.
My cousin does that stuff. Says it's the same as working in 10 degree weather. I don't believe him and I don't intend to find out if he's lying or not.
It is not the same. My cutoff is 15°

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
Porter Cable used to make a pretty fair left handed sidewinder saw. They had them for both hands, actually. Have not seen one in a few years, but they might still be available.
Yeah, I had one of those 15 years ago with the blade on left. It was a decent saw, and even had a dust port on the top, which I wish all circular saws had.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
I don't think speed is really an issue. Although, with it being lighter, and having more rpm's, I would think a sidewinder would win in a speed contest.

Plus, the wormy would likely trip the breaker.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
The mag77lt spins up to 5300 rpm - very near what the sidewinders spin.

And its 15 amps.

Which likely means it won't hog wet yellow pine the way the old ones did, but otherwise comparable speed to the winders.

We were jut brought up on sidewinders up here is all.

OTOH, I fell in love with my first lefty trim saw - Porter Cable.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Are there any left bladed saws worth their salt out there that are not wormdrive? I love to be able to see what I am cutting easily.
The Porter cable 423 mag was good. I still have one around. The darn thing would rupture your ear drum though.

If youre going to do one of those you might as well do a Mag 77 LT

I love mine. The weight they shaved off it makes it way more usable than a traditional worm drives.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts