Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
121 - 130 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
^^ This. He said "if you're only sawing for ten minutes, go with the cordless." Does that mean ten minutes per day? Ten minutes per hour? Ten continuous minutes through stacks of sheet goods? If the old boy making custom chicken coops is making them out of red oak or walnut that's an inch and a half thick, the best cordless saw won't have the nuts to go through more than about one or two pieces per battery.
Is your name by chance Rob in Illinois? I've only seen a few people so damn argumentative.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I want to chime in because I want the points.

I own a Ridgid wormdrive, have been using Skil Wormdrives for a few months now, haven't even picked up a sidewinder in, who knows how long. I'm not even sure I could effectively use a sidewinder if someone put one in front of me. It would feel foreign.

Onto the topic of cordless. They absolutely do have their place. The fact that some people need to even debate this is beyond me.

Are they for production framing, or commercial formwork jobs? Most likely, no. But to knock down a few 2x's or to rip a couple sheets of plywood they can't be beat. Hell, they must be awesome for the guy making the chicken coops. That whole job could be done cordlessly.

·
Registered
696 Posts
^^ This. He said "if you're only sawing for ten minutes, go with the cordless."
Does that mean ten minutes per day? Ten minutes per hour? Ten continuous minutes through stacks of sheet goods?
If the old boy making custom chicken coops is making them out of red oak or walnut that's an inch and a half thick, the best cordless saw won't have the nuts to go through more than about one or two pieces per battery.
Let me give you an example. You have to go back to a job and install a piece of sub-fascia measuring 43 1/2 inches. Why are you going back for one little board? Never Mind.

You cut the board 34 1/2 inches and start to install it. O.K., the board is short by a couple of inches or so.

You tear the board off and cut another board at 43 1/2 inches.

2 cuts at one minute each. Half installation of short board 2 minutes. Tear out of short Board 2 minutes. Install correct board 2 minutes. Scratching head wondering why you didn't go to law school 2 minutes.

I would definitely use the cordless saw. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Is your name by chance Rob in Illinois? I've only seen a few people so damn argumentative.
If my name was Rob in Illinois, my profile wouldn't say Russ in Alaska now would it? :blink:

I don't believe that I'm being argumentative, I was trying to illustrate the fact that there's a whole slough of different situations in which one might need a circular saw, and depending on the application, from my point of view, all of the different variations of circular saws have a place.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
I have a rigid sidewinder thats been sitting on a shelf for at least a year or so. A skill 8 1/4 worm drive that has become my go to saw for just about anything, and a dewalt cordless 20v saw that i carry around with me alot. The 20v is great for punch list stuff, quick little cuts on a ladder or roof. Ive been using it to cut rigid foam pretty often too. Every tool has a time and place for use (except that damned sidewinder).

·
Remodeler
320 Posts
I like the weight of my 19 yo hd 77. I use the gravity to my advantage. Iam right handed but there are times the wd is not on the best side. I think its like going to work with only 1 hammer. There's a best time for both types of saws.:thumbsup:

121 - 130 of 130 Posts