Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I would like to try a Bosch sometime, but I always end up picking up a Skil.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
jlsconstruction said:
My money makers
I could take that exact picture, plus one for demo, steel and concrete.

Reactions: jlsconstruction

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
We are Bosch whores. We have had great luck and no real complaints.

I have a Skil 3/8" drill that is used for pocket holes. That is the only Skil tool I have ever used.
I too like Bosch, and have several of their tools.

The Skil worm drive saws are, in my opinion, heads and shoulders above anything else they make. Awesome saws!

I've not tried the Bosch worm drives.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Bosch and Skil worm drives are basically the same thing. Bosch owns Skil.

I have always been a worm drive person. My first worm drive was a Mag77. Then it started wobbling and making some weird noises. I picked up a Ridgid and it has been an awesome saw. Going strong for 8 years. Not a problem.

I did just recently pick up a Mag77LT. I like it but want to use it a little more to make a final decision about it. But the power of a wormy with the light weight, hopefully it works out good.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Why do you guys prefer worms over sidewinders? I've always used sidewinders. I think i used a worm once about fifteen years ago. Just wondering what your perceived advantages are

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Why do you guys prefer worms over sidewinders? I've always used sidewinders. I think i used a worm once about fifteen years ago. Just wondering what your perceived advantages are
Your dick feels ever so slightly bigger when you pick up a worm drive.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
I like to cut with my right hand and it's easier to see the blade on a worm drive. I also prefer the extra weight and worm drives seem to have more power.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I just put a factory replacement cord on one of my Skil 77HD's. They are all made in USA models and have all given many years of service. The only blade right saw I own is a DeWalt 8 1/4" sidewinder, for when the occasional reverse bevel is necessary.

·
Champion Thread Derailer
1,228 Posts
Not sure if this still applies, but some years ago the sidewinders seemed to be more common in the eastern half of the US, and the worm drive saws more common in the western half.

Before anyone asks, no, I don't believe there is an exact line of demarcation from east to west separating worm drive folks from sidewinder folks.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I believe the handle placement behind the blade allows for a straighter cut and more leverage.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts