Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been up all night puking. Have a job that is waiting on me. Good thing I could take my 2 boys (10& 16) or I would be dead!

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,584 Posts
Sniffles and cough, probably. Puking and/or high fever, no.

I took a day off because of a chest cold that was really producing a lot of hard to release phlegm. It was going to rain that day and I couldn't get materials to the site so I figured it was a good candidate day to blow off.

Glad I did it. Next day I was much better and did the job without worrying that I was going to sound like an infectious idiot.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,584 Posts
If you actually have the flu, you can't work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Like earlier posted, puking and high fever, no. But pretty much anything else, yes. I can't remember the last time I felt 100%. Seems like there is always something aching or running.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,584 Posts
When I get the real flu I have a hard time getting out of bed to go puke. Only had the flu twice in my life and hope to never get it again.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Guess I have never had the flu.
Lucky you. I got knocked down hard a couple weeks ago for the first time in years. Just being sick is no problem and I keep on working.

This thing (whatever it was) came up one night and I went to work and tried to work and it got worse quickly. I couldn't even pick up my tools to load them back in the truck. I swept up, left the tools in situ, and drove home.

It took 2 days of sleep and sweating it out/puking, etc. before I could even get out of bed.

All better now!:laughing:

·
Design/Build
641 Posts
If I am throwing up I will stay home. I hate vomiting. Anything else I work.

Be safe. Seriously, the flu can kill you if you get a bad strain or if it catches you just right.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
its depends on what stage of the flu im in, if i simply have the chills ill work through it , but if im aching all over and no energy i stay home

·
Registered
683 Posts
I rarely get sick, but when I do it's usually pretty bad. I've only missed work once while being sick. I tried making it in but I was puking and everything was spinning. Drove about two blocks and decided i shouldn't drive.
Lasted for about a week, worst I've ever felt.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
Lucky you. I got knocked down hard a couple weeks ago for the first time in years. Just being sick is no problem and I keep on working.

This thing (whatever it was) came up one night and I went to work and tried to work and it got worse quickly. I couldn't even pick up my tools to load them back in the truck. I swept up, left the tools in situ, and drove home.

It took 2 days of sleep and sweating it out/puking, etc. before I could even get out of bed.

All better now!:laughing:
I have had a couple of very unusual illnesses that required hospital visits. I contracted Meningitis about 20 years ago and that was really weird. Chills(tremors really) vomiting, fever so high that I was hallucinating. Thought I was gonna die! I also had a staph infection about 10 years ago that was also serious. I am able to avoid the little stuff, but the big stuff catches me every decade or so.

·
Super Moderator
10,672 Posts
I rarely get sick, but when I do it's usually pretty bad. I've only missed work once while being sick. I tried making it in but I was puking and everything was spinning. Drove about two blocks and decided i shouldn't drive.
Lasted for about a week, worst I've ever felt.
I remember driving to work one time and feeling increasingly nauseous. By the time I pulled into the driveway at work, I was not really sure what was coming up/out, or from where. I sprang from my truck, burst into the porta pot, and puked all over the inside. After that, I felt ok and finished the day. Real bad day for anyone wanting to use the toilet though.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Drove about two blocks and decided i shouldn't drive.
Yep, that was me a couple weeks ago. I was probably stupid to keep on driving. I pulled over about 3 times on a 30 minute trip home but I just had my eye on the prize.......the bed. It sucked.

·
GC/carpenter
43,896 Posts
About 5 years ago I had a Laproscopic Nissen Fundoplication, I can't throw up. So I dread the day I get the flu. This is why I always get my flu shot. Thankfully I haven't had the flu in about 8 or so years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts