Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is harder than you think !!!!

Holy twisted, different dimensions,, then you have your barn board and that's a whole other animal .

Nothing like having everything nice and tight , then start the fireplace and hearing crap split apart,,

·
GC/carpenter
43,956 Posts
I always order re sawn instead, that way all my hardware can be standard, also it looks a little cleaner then then the rough lumber I get from my yard.

·
Registered
818 Posts
You just have to realize not everything is going to look as tight as the planed lumber. We have been spoiled by planed lumber...piece of cake to work with. But things were built out of rough lumber for ages, and lots of them are still solid today. Heck most of the lumber was still green too.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea it's tough to work on something and see no matter what I do it won't be pretty,,

The stuff in using is about as bad as you'd expect. Stepson got it planed and t&g a year drying later nothing fit together so I cut the back off , it's about what I figured I'd get looks wise but luckily that's the look were goin for lol

·
Registered
818 Posts
Should've done the t&g after drying. Planing the backside also makes things more consistent.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Was it milled before or after drying?

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes that's what he did wrong milled wet lumber,

I know the sawyer, I got stuff from him before for a trellis, he screwed that order up too.. Didn't realize he ordered it or I would of told him no.

I'm gonna talk him into buying a mill, I want to build an old style post and beam barn..

·
Registered
818 Posts
Reactions: Spencer

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hell yea , your right there. I built my best friends log cabin as a kid. Used a 3.1/4 hp hitachi to do mortises . beautiful wood to work too.

But your so right about knowing you worked a day!!!

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
Built an entire convenience center out of green rough cut cypress... post and beam, clap siding, rabbited doors, etc. The doors shrunk about 1" from top to bottom in a year. You just have to understand it is going to be a rustic look, get it close and use things that will cause rust stains etc.

I have to admit though, siding a wall and coming back the next day to watch it take off is more than frustrating.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Why not just let it dry before putting it up??

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
Why not just let it dry before putting it up??
Couple reasons.

It's cypress.
They called me with an order for 18k bd ft in October and wanted it done by November.

All in all cypress moves a bunch, no such thing as 6x6 dried in cypress, people will tell you they have it dried but I don't believe it because air drying takes 6" stickers for about 2 years and kiln drying will crack the hell out of it. With cypress it actually does best (anything over 2") if you can stick it green and pin it in place.

The siding could have been dried but they weren't willing to wait.

Never seen any good looking rough cut cypress posts less than 19% mc

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I made a fake beam and watched it twist as I let go of the clamps, I did the best I was willing to do anyway..

·
Registered
818 Posts
Kiln drying can be done if it is done right. I haven't really heard of so many problems with cypress. I know many times it is put up green though. And I realize some boards behave worse than others.

·
Artist and not a curator
14,333 Posts
Kiln drying can be done if it is done right. I haven't really heard of so many problems with cypress. I know many times it is put up green though. And I realize some boards behave worse than others.
There's a mill in Louisiana who does it right and the only other one I know of is near Gainesville Fl, they claim they can kiln dry it but I haven't bought any only their air dried. It's not problems with cypress its just extremely wet and a bit unstable to start with... after all it is a fern.

When drying cypress a good mill will rough cut 6x at 6-1/4 to 6-3/8 and resaw to order.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeah any beam should be resawn after drying, any species can twist and warp especially when the beam is that big.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts