Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys need some guidance. How can I find work with these guys and is it even possible for a small 1-2 man operation to be involved. Looking for really small parts like installing hardware, or other finishes. By the way am small disadvantage business....

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hey Ceezz if you are a dbe/mbe certified in md with all the paperwork start talking to the large gc's in the area that do government work. James g Davis, hitt, whiting turner, there are a ton. Make sure you let them know you are certified they are always looking for guys to fill the quotas on those projects. Also try to find some of the purchasing people on the military bases around, I think they can just hand out the work to pretty much anyone if it's small enough and you might look better with the dbe.

They'll want you to bid everything though so you need to be selective. If you get into that work sometimes it will take a while to get your money (45-60 days) so don't get in too deep right away.

There is money to be made if you can get in with these contractors because you have what they need to meet the preset quotas on minority/women/disadvantaged businesses. We used to work for a guy who's girlfriend was a disabled veteran and he could get a ton of work though that but was a terrible business guy. He would just get the contacts and have us do the work for the most part. Always behind paying invoices, we cut ties before we got stuck.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Ceezz if you are a dbe/mbe certified in md with all the paperwork start talking to the large gc's in the area that do government work. James g Davis, hitt, whiting turner, there are a ton. Make sure you let them know you are certified they are always looking for guys to fill the quotas on those projects. Also try to find some of the purchasing people on the military bases around, I think they can just hand out the work to pretty much anyone if it's small enough and you might look better with the dbe.

They'll want you to bid everything though so you need to be selective. If you get into that work sometimes it will take a while to get your money (45-60 days) so don't get in too deep right away.

There is money to be made if you can get in with these contractors because you have what they need to meet the preset quotas on minority/women/disadvantaged businesses. We used to work for a guy who's girlfriend was a disabled veteran and he could get a ton of work though that but was a terrible business guy. He would just get the contacts and have us do the work for the most part. Always behind paying invoices, we cut ties before we got stuck.
Great advise thank you I will get on this. I still got a long time to go. Do you work with these guys or state.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts