Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't say in words how great this is. Sure there's been some struggles along the way and I've felt more responsibility than I would of with a non family employee. 4 years ago he worked PT at Home Depot. I was without a driver who delivers cabinets, windows, etc, and cleans jobsites. That sort of position. I somewhat casually asked if he was interested and he was. He hired on with us and I noticed his material runs were much shorter than the previous driver. Taught him to clean, stack, and carry. After a year and a half he propositioned me.
" I'll never be your best carpenter, plumber, or painter" he stated but I believe I could do what you do" which is mainly estimating/sales.
Like a lightbulb going off I could easily see him assisting with collecting payments, sample deliverys, and material purchases. Brilliant! Now when you teach material purchasing you have to accept the errors that come with it as there come times when you just let them go. He developed into a pretty good assistant so sales were next.
This was harder for me than him. I struggled with a sidekick as I've flown solo for years. Eventually we found a sweet spot where we presented well as a team and I started getting used to the help. Fast forward another year and a half and he's calling on his own customers. He understands the pricing and our company's strengths. He's still young (26) but by the time he hits 30 he'll be one of the best. Funny how at lineouts with the men they would grouse some when they had to install one of his jobs. Almost polar opposite today.
Today our discussions are filled with sales that were successful, near misses, and the occasional weirdness that comes with entering a half dozen strangers homes every week. ( you just never know ) I just swell with happiness when I talk to one of his customers and they mention how much they enjoyed Keith as their salesman. I consider myself fortunate to be able to share this industry with my son. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Good job. I find working with family just doesn't work. But I think the problem is usually because the family member takes the job for convenience, not because it's something they want to do. If they are passionate about the work then working with family can be good.

·
Registered
346 Posts
wow, great read for a wednesday morning with the coffee on my side. Had hopes that my oldest would be interested in this business. But at 18 all he wants to do is computer stuff. which will be great, glad he can make a living with his head instead of his hands. Crossing fingers that his younger brother will be more into it doing this kind of work. i have the young one full time (18 yr old lives with his mom), so may be able to whoooo him:)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Congrats Go Dart.

similar situation here as well.

My 2 grown sons work with me every day. It is a rare day when someone does not give me a compliment on one or both of my sons----and a week NEVER passes when I don't receive a compliment on my sons.

Oldest son is 26 and this is his 5th year with me, following his college graduation---- youngest son is 25. He worked with me one summer immediately after highschool- then he worked in landscaping for 4 years or so and decided having his name on the door was a better gig---- this is his 2nd year with us.
Next year we will need to hire a new entry level guy------- I am really spoiled , but we will need the 4th guy and I will have to return to hiring non family members since I am out of sons.

It is immensely satisfying working with my sons--
but it's a lot of responsibility knowing that I must sell enough projects at high enough rates because I have these sons, daughter -in-laws, grandchildren etc. depending on my judgement.

oldest son is married, has our first grand daughter on the way ( OCT)and just bought his first house in June, youngest son is getting married in OCT. wife just got a new job where she is making 180% of her previous pay........
life could NOT be much better.( Knock on wood)
stephen

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
Awesome! My son went to school for HVAC and then split for Florida 4 years ago. He figures it's always hot there and everyone needs AC. He makes good money and has a place right on the bay (South Walton/Santa Rosa Beach area). I mean you can fish off the dock in his backyard :clap:. The wife and I have been giving serious thought to moving down there, but all I would want to do is hang out at the beach and ogle the cute girls. Probably wouldn't get a whole lot of work done :no:

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's great. I wish me and my dad could do that. He taught me everything I know about my trade. However, we can't work well together. We have said things to each other that no father and son should say to one another. But once the day is over, we are the best of buddies.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Awesome story
Mine is from the other point of view.
I started working part time for my step father in the kitchen biz in my teens after school.
Wanted to be an auto mech but couldn't find an aprentiship. My father owned a construction company with aprox 6 guys building homes and doing school board renos.
Greg and Dad both told me if I didn't want to go to college then get a job because life isn't free.
Started full time with my Dad as the low man. Material runs and clean up.
Four years in we had slow times and Dad down sized and put his nail bag back on.
It was too much for me and I left, we could not work that close.
Years later he closed up shop to work as operations manager of large restoration franchise.
I ended up at the same company as their lead licensed carpenter. Even held a position as a co ordinator for a couple years under my dad. It was easier as we got older and had more respect for the others knowledge.
Fast forward 19 years later
I own the company and my Dad works for me as estimator and part time helper.
He is semi retired but when he shows up he's the hardest worker on site.lol
He sells my company because it's what he does best.
I like being the Carpenter but this way I reap some of the benefits of being the owner.
After 19+ years in this trade I owe it to my Dad. I've worked along side him in some form for 12 years of my career. Wouldn't change it for the world.
Sory for the long post

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I pulled one of those "hey I want to show you something real quick" statements to my son and showed him the post. We both enjoyed the comments and the thanks were great of you guys. Hopefully there's some more good storys to come.

·
"lemony snicket"
142 Posts
Don't know if you were born into it. But if you were so was he. If you were he already has it in his blood and will do great.

·
Registered
819 Posts
its great that it works out for you so well......my guess is your situation is pretty rare though....id guess more times than not it doesnt work well....it would be great if it did more often.

my son talks about working with me some day....i told him no...be a doctor/lawyer.....i dont want him to suffer physically like i have to to make a buck......he asked about taking over my business and i told him i plan on selling it

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Great story.I tried working with my father 30 some years ago and it didn't work out.He's been gone for a long time now and I miss him.I don't miss working with him but would give it another chance.
Wish you and your son the best.Sounds like he started out on the right foot.Maybe I didn't.

·
"lemony snicket"
142 Posts
My son ain't doing this if I can help it. He's 8 now so it may be to late. This is back breaking stuff and losing lots of sleep. He can do way better than me being a doctor or something. But boy he wouldn't have more fun anywhere else I don't think. I just wouldn't want him to suffer in any way at all. Like we do. All of us.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts