Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody worked with a homeowner where they buy most of the materials and appliances and you do the work? How did it go? What did you do about markups?

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I've done them web when the ho already owns the products. T&M only.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,736 Posts
What do you plan on making up? Their labor and materials? T&M including one way travel.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I wouldn't markup materials the HO buys directly. How would you explain that? I've done work like this T&M where T includes any of my time wasted waiting for HO materials.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Yeah, done plenty of this. Usually it works out okay, but it depends upon the project. Sometimes they buy the wrong stuff so I like the idea of charging for travel time. Make sure you charge your time high enough.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
The only time I do that is for small things like light fixtures, ceiling fans, faucets, etc. They can do the shopping at their leisure and pick out what they want. But if I have to return it or get additional materials for it then they're paying my hourly rate for me to do it. I don't let them do that and have me come back x days later. For big things like windows, doors, flooring, trim, rock, etc - NO.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Well if the homeowner can by the materials, then they can install it themselves. My business is a bit different than yours but my policy is that I buy/provide the parts. The last thing I want to do is get in an argument with the homeowner when I install their provided equipment and it has a problem. Just my two cents.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Light fixtures, plumbing fixtures, or other things where their personal taste is needed is no problem for me on full remodels. In fact I prefer it.

For T&M jobs and service calls, they can provide visible fixtures and I provide everything else. I also warn them that sometimes cheaper materials take longer to install.

I've had clients show me a box of old garage sale bought wire, can lights, devices, boxes, etc. and I simply refuse. Fortunately, once I got into higher end clients it doesn't happen AS MUCH.:laughing:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Heres my policy, if i dont have a sample of it in the back seat of my truck they can feel free to purchase it

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Some times I will let it happen if they are repeat customers and I will be making enough money.
They phone into the supplier and give a credit card number and I buy what I need.
They get the travell points.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts