Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A year or so ago, I was advised that I need to be "packing" just to work by myself on various properties in Rockdale/Conyers.
Unfortunately, the officer was right on the money as another contractor/handy man was beat with a hammer to the point that his head wounds put him into a stroke that could not be resolved while being treated at Grady. The deceased is known around Conyers for just being a first call type of carpenter small job worker for many years.
Nothing to steal and nothing worth killing this hard worker over.

It used to be all I had to do was say "BOO!!" or "You have to leave right now!" and the interlopers ran all over themselves to get away.

I had a Rockdale LEO to look at what I thought was a kiddie playhouse on a screened porch...but he looked around and saw all the stuff on the deck and said...."No...you've got a crazy."

"Why do you think that?" I asked.

"It's 20° and going to be as cold tonight....and they're living on this screened in porch rather than going inside a heated house. Do you carry a weapon?"

"No...I'm just working on my windows and doors...I don't even think the neighbors know I'm here."

"Even worse.....since you're alone. This stuff on the deck is the bedding. This is the pillow....and this is an 8inch butcher knife...." and held that up for me. "Either get a partner to work with or carry some sort of defense where you're far enough apart from each other at all times. Mr Dan, I don't want to hear a call that you're on the way to the ER wearing this butcher knife."

Been haunting me ever since. This is crazy. I don't carry enough anything for someone to want to rob, attack, use my framing hammer on me or shank me with a scratch awl.

·
Contractor
7,423 Posts
Crazy story. Can't carry here in Maryland unless you have a good and substantial reason, self defense doesn't count.

I feel bad for the family of that guy, hard working good 'ole boy, about my age.

Stay safe Dan.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crazy story. Can't carry here in Maryland unless you have a good and substantial reason, self defense doesn't count.

I feel bad for the family of that guy, hard working good 'ole boy, about my age.

Stay safe Dan.
It could happen anywhere. My wife's family lives in Easton, Chestertown and St Michaels....everyone there always seemed to be on their best behavior and just enjoying life. I'm not sure what cranked up this guy to beat brother Vance bad enough to kill him....only after he's had to suffer from his injuries while his wife and families worried to the end. I'm going to post signs...big yellow caution signs "YOU'RE TRESPASSING! LEAVE THIS PROPERTY IMMEDIATELY!!"

Won't stop a crazoid....but I suppose I've got a few things that will. Thanks Tom...you be careful, too.

·
Contractor
7,423 Posts
Those are nice areas on the Eastern shore of Md. But you're right, some damn guy can come out of the blue and get after you for no reason, even there.

I clicked through on the news story you posted and hit the "to help the family, click here"...I'm teared up.

I'm gonna donate a few bucks. Did you know Vance personally?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I met him with another crew doing a stoop tear off. He was not the crew boss...but should have been. I got the impression he just wanted to work....not worry about boss stuff. He'd always shout my way at the local ACE or lumber yard inside or pulling in or leaving. At one time we had a lunch counter/convenience store that catered to the subs and labors early in the morning with biscuits, country ham, sausage or a thick American cheese topping....or all of the above. Jimmy just wanted coffee and to sit around with everybody before pulling out....so he was the skinny that went up the ladder or into the crawl.

I remember going into abandoned foreclosures with the meter pulled and using a flashlight to find my way into the basement or up into the attic. I remember saying...."this is pretty weird" with all the shadows and light bouncing around. This was back in the 70s and never gave it a 2nd thought. Easton and St Michaels are pretty nice spots on the Eastern shore. Getting there was never a problem going over that bridge...but coming back across during traffic hours, it's a roll of the dice.

Thanks for sending that family your support. You're a Good man.

·
Contractor
7,423 Posts
Sounds like a few guys I know around here.
Funny how some people you meet and kinda get to know just sort of grow on you, though not close, you just expect them to be around the next time you stop in for a biscuit with egg.

The Bay Bridge is always a challenge, not bad in the late Fall and Winter but as soon as the weather gets good, you never know how big the back up will be.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's still pretty territory with real fresh seafood and a lot of little places that the fam knows about to enjoy it.

Yeah....I enjoy just seeing the crews that hung around on this side of town just to see everybody busy. That lunch counter is long gone now and most of the crews with it....but the regulars were pretty much there each morning. It was a great deal for everybody....I could walk in and say I need a saw man and usually I'd have one in a couple of hours as the guys went to work their respective jobsites and put the word out to anyone that could spare the time. Jimmy was just part of the bunch.

If anything else is posted in the news...I'll forward it along. It would be good to be able to make sense of this. Thanks!!

·
Registered
12,360 Posts
No way would I work in that environment.

I agree though, it is getting more dangerous. I don't even let tweaker get close before I'm shooing them away.

They get close, I get meaner.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No way would I work in that environment.

I agree though, it is getting more dangerous. I don't even let tweaker get close before I'm shooing them away.

They get close, I get meaner.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Yep...solo means solo. If there's a doper showing their face in the place while I'm using a finish nail gun.....I just keep shooting until the compressor kicks in....would scare anybody away with that old EmGlo kicking in. If they don't get the message with me triggering a few rounds of finish or casing nails....the noisy ol' air compressor will.

·
Registered
Demo
101 Posts
I was expecting something more along the lines of John Carroll’s book when I clicked on thread.

What a sad story. Stay safe out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts