Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
I like the cold and snow . We work no matter what ! It doesnt get really cold in lower NY . So i go in every day rain , snow , flood , fire The truth is the guys find enough reasons not to come to work , with out my help . If its cold we start at 8am and work till 400 i like to be gone by dark . I wear the same clothes year round . I like a long john top and fleas jeans if its 0 o out , fleas hooded sweat shirt . I just started wearing gloves the last few years , I'm getting some artritis in my hands .
If it ever got to cold to work i would just go fishing .:laughing:
My family comes from above the arctic circle . We ski 12 month out of the year . John

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
it depends on what were doing, generally will keep working up to -20 celcius but it depends on the conditions

-25 celcius with windchill- we find something inside or go home

if were installing siding and its cold and damp we try to get inside because we use a fair amount of blueskin/ vycor and caulking. when its that cold the blueskin doesnt stick even with primer and the caulking just rollls off the wall and wont stay

if the air gear isnt working outside we try to get inside

as for clothing, i go with fleece sweatpants under insulated overalls, 2 pairs of socks with composite boots, t-shirt, heavy flannel shirt or wool sweather, a thermal hoody and a vest, extra cold= a jacket as well. for the hands if its a dry cold the white knitted gloves, if its wet out nitrile coated gloves

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm on a public works project & unless it's below zero the schedule says we work, we have to in order to follow the cpm. There is very little room in the schedule for lost time so we need to keep the pressure on. Most guys in the trades that work on these projects know to dress accordingly. Today there are a lot of waterproof & warm products to choose from, so if you want to stay in this business think of the right clothes as tools of the trade.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I just dress for it in the unheated utility room and go out! Leave the truck windows open and it feels like a nice summer day when I arrive and get out of the truck. Best bet for work trucks is to disable the heater. :thumbup: Don't want it more comfortable than the worksite, do we? :laughing:

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
We play it by ear mostly....clear skies, sun, no wind but 10* is a decent day compared to 25, wet, and windy.

Unfortunately our building season is in the winter here.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fence Installation in Columbia, MO

I admire your courage for continuing to work outdoors during extremely cold weather. As long as your in good health, you can withstand the cold with the help of heavy duty gloves and gear. Keep it up!

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm hesitant when it drops below 70* that's when I have to wear long pants, a jacket, socks and shoes. I'm pretty miserable wearing all of that stuff.

The women all cover up too, how much fun is THAT?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I'm hesitant when it drops below 70* that's when I have to wear long pants, a jacket, socks and shoes. I'm pretty miserable wearing all of that stuff.

The women all cover up too, how much fun is THAT?
When I was down there and it got down below a bitter 70 I'd see people with gloves and ear-muffs on :laughing:. My friend just went down for a week and he was telling me how it'll be nice to wear shorts everyday; from what i'm seeing on the weather he should have stayed home.

·
Custom Builder
48 Posts
My framers have a heck of a time with the guns and compressors when it's 10 or below. The 10' snow drifts also hamper progress. We sometimes put the compressor in the truck and roll the windows up to the hoses. At about 0 the guns like to freeze up every time you shoot one.

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
My framers have a heck of a time with the guns and compressors when it's 10 or below. The 10' snow drifts also hamper progress. We sometimes put the compressor in the truck and roll the windows up to the hoses. At about 0 the guns like to freeze up every time you shoot one.
I find that we have the most air troubles at about 25 degrees. I think that when the temps dip slightly below freezing is when you get a lot of ice in the lines. Seems like when its in the teens it isn't so bad. Maybe its too cold and the ice stays in the tank? I don't know, just my observations.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
I find that we have the most air troubles at about 25 degrees. I think that when the temps dip slightly below freezing is when you get a lot of ice in the lines. Seems like when its in the teens it isn't so bad. Maybe its too cold and the ice stays in the tank? I don't know, just my observations.
I think when it's that cold, there is less humidity in the air, therefore less in the tank, hoses, etc. I always made a point of draining the tanks in the morning, after being in a garage overnight. I always used 1/4" fittings and only had frozen fittings twice in 7 winters of framing.

·
Dan
4,822 Posts
Also depends what I'm doing. I find that I have less tolerance for Perfection when I'm freezing. I hate being all bulked up. I wear thermals with flannel lined carharts over them. and several layers up top. I also avoid the jacket and just put on 1-2 sweatshirts. If work was busy right now. I'd be doing it but this winter is really slow so far, and the snow/temps haven't helped out at all.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
5,844 Posts
That was the case for us today, 22 at startime & 29 when we went home. We were fine at first cause we only using electricity, but when started using the nailgun it froze up. Tried both compressors & different hoses, same deal = time to go home. The wind was blowing 25 plus MPH, it was a miserable time for a texan. Last night hurt too.

·
Sure, I can do that...
1,893 Posts
Temperature convertor can be found here: http: / / jlhaslip.trap17.com/samples/misc/demo/temperature.html
(remove spaces)

I've worked outside for too many winters. My fav understuff is Helly Hansen poly-pro or a wool set of gear. Insulated Coveralls are a must have item past -40C or F. At -40, the two are the same thing.

For gloves, I use those bulky leather Mitts with a trigger finger cut-out and wool liners. Take several pair of liners in case they get wet.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts