Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Banned
2,622 Posts
Yeah, thereabouts. It was a swamp and now it looks presentable.

What I don't get is that
if you burn 2400 cals/day
and you can lose 2 lbs/day with liquids only
and fat has 3500 cals/lb,
what is burning 7000 cals/day?

There is something I'm missing here that may be staring me in the face.

By the way, when I did only liquids for three days or so I could have gotten
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refeeding_syndrome
and the Harper's journalist who lost 30 lbs in 17 days should have gotten it along with people he talked about in his article.
http://harpers.org/archive/2012/03/starving-your-way-to-vigor/

One heavy guy fasted in the hospital for six months and was given only minerals and reassurance.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You don't need a personal trainer. Just focus on one body part per day, do weight that you can do for 8-12 reps, for 10 sets.

And then do cardio for 30 minutes 3 times a week.

Do that and you'll be better than 90% of the population. Seriously. Have you seen what people look like these days?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You don't need a personal trainer. Just focus on one body part per day, do weight that you can do for 8-12 reps, for 10 sets.

And then do cardio for 30 minutes 3 times a week.

Do that and you'll be better than 90% of the population. Seriously. Have you seen what people look like these days?
My daughter is active is sports..jock we'll call her. She started being made fun of last yr in 7th grade for being too skinny (she isnt skinny shes fit)...fat lazy phucks r taking over and now its cool to be a fat worthless person. We dont have enough girls sighed up to make a jv softball team at the high school next yr. My daughter recruited a few of her 8th grade classmates to come to "open gym"...aka softball practice at the high school. Her friends ran one warm up lap around the feild and sat on bleacher rest of the day..."i dont really.like this, we dont have to run on the team we play for now"..basically a beer leauge for kids, slow pitch softball aka special needs leauge since non of them can ball once they step.upto high school as theyre used to things going slooooow.

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I once did an hour of intense exercise and as the trainer pointed out, all I had to do was go downstairs and eat a muffin and a bagel, and then everything I'd just done was a waste of time.
I beg to differ. If I was going to eat a muffin and a bagel regardless of whether I exercised, I'd say that exercising before/after a high calorie snack is probably better than eating the snack while sitting on the sofa.

So as far as an update since my original post, I am down 45 lbs. since changing my eating habits in early March. I'm in the gym twice a week for 2 hours and I work myself out to the point of near total exhaustion.

10 minutes on the elliptical burns off 500 calories according to the machine although I question the accuracy. 20 minutes on the treadmill at a 15 degree incline burns another 500. Then I do 20 lunges on each size. In between I use the crunch machine and the leg press. I need to do more upper body work as I've been neglecting that part of my routine but nevertheless I am achieving some success.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
It's commonly accepted that running 1-mile, burns 100 calories- generally. Every body burns calories differently. Obviously a larger person burns more calories than a small person, etc., etc.

It's funny how far from accurate some peoples' thoughts are regarding exercise despite the plethora of information that is being crammed down our throats on a regular basis.

One of the best free exercise routines I've ever seen is on You Tube: Zuzkalight, who used to be with BodyRock.

(There's a whole -other- story there.)

Anyway, despite the fact that she's gorgeous and an EX-adult film star, she takes working out extremely seriously and has some incredible routines. Everyone has a past.

Watch some of her videos. Try some of her routines and judge for yourself. Another thing, no equipment is necessary.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Just finished a 3 month membership to the gym. I never went once.

My work keeps me in shape. Approximately 10,000 pounds out and 10,000 pounds in to the latest project. Second floor. I'd say my heart rate is at double the resting rate for about 20 hours a week.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's commonly accepted that running 1-mile, burns 100 calories- generally. Every body burns calories differently. Obviously a larger person burns more calories than a small person, etc., etc.

It's funny how far from accurate some peoples' thoughts are regarding exercise despite the plethora of information that is being crammed down our throats on a regular basis.

One of the best free exercise routines I've ever seen is on You Tube: Zuzkalight, who used to be with BodyRock.

(There's a whole -other- story there.)

Anyway, despite the fact that she's gorgeous and an EX-adult film star, she takes working out extremely seriously and has some incredible routines. Everyone has a past.

Watch some of her videos. Try some of her routines and judge for yourself. Another thing, no equipment is necessary.
that's basically correct---- but the 100 cal./mile figure is for a pretty light pretty fit individual---so it'a a bit misleading. 125--- to MAYBE 150/mile might be a better average for a big guy

suffice it to say---- there is virtually ZERO chance Ted can burn 500 calories in 10 minutes on an eliptical
stephen

·
Banned
2,622 Posts
can burn 500 calories in 10 minutes on an eliptical
The machine display would indicate 3000 Cals/hr. I've never seen a display go that high.

500 Cals = 600 watthours of energy
10 minutes = 0.17 hr
600/0.17 hour = 3500w = 4.7 hp of power!
For 10 minutes!
Nah. . .
I'm not sure a horse could do this.

I'd think this is governed by the maximum heart rate which governs the max oxygen intake, and longer than three minutes is aerobic.
Another Web search!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I wouldn't bother paying for any classes. Use the wonderful tool that is Google and read about exercise plans, workouts etc yourself. Yeah, it might not be as efficient as having a personal trainer per se, but you will save a load of money and you will see results eventually.

·
Super Moderator
25,786 Posts
I beg to differ. If I was going to eat a muffin and a bagel regardless of whether I exercised, I'd say that exercising before/after a high calorie snack is probably better than eating the snack while sitting on the sofa.

So as far as an update since my original post, I am down 45 lbs. since changing my eating habits in early March. I'm in the gym twice a week for 2 hours and I work myself out to the point of near total exhaustion.

10 minutes on the elliptical burns off 500 calories according to the machine although I question the accuracy. 20 minutes on the treadmill at a 15 degree incline burns another 500. Then I do 20 lunges on each size. In between I use the crunch machine and the leg press. I need to do more upper body work as I've been neglecting that part of my routine but nevertheless I am achieving some success.
Damn hoss, thats awesome. How'd you drop the pounds? Whats the diet plan?

81 - 96 of 96 Posts