Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any painters here use stilts for working along ceilings or to do repairs on ceilings/walls such as cutting in or spackling?

·
Registered
66 Posts
No stilts. Too much of a chance for spilled paint for me. I prefer the small roll scaffolding sets (2 or 3 steps) for cutting in and quick repairs. I also have 4 sets of 2' wide X 6' that we can set in large stairwells or put on rollers. My drywallers prefer these. I want my guys standing on the floor, if it's physically possible, when they roll.

·
Deck Designer/Builder
2,430 Posts
They're illegal here in Canada. That doesn't mean guys don't use them, they just void their insurance if they fall while using them...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crankshaft said:
No stilts. Too much of a chance for spilled paint for me. I prefer the small roll scaffolding sets (2 or 3 steps) for cutting in and quick repairs. I also have 4 sets of 2' wide X 6' that we can set in large stairwells or put on rollers. My drywallers prefer these. I want my guys standing on the floor, if it's physically possible, when they roll.
I would agree. I used to use mine a good bit through the 1990's when I was in business before. Now as I'm getting older, I think I'll stick to stepladders and planks.
:)

·
Banned
39 Posts
NO BUCKETS! lol.....I saw an idiot tryin to cut in off a 5 gal bucket with head phones on! And evidently he had back problems cause he was on his medication...lol. It wasn't 20 mins before we heard a thud and he came around the corner with his cd player covered in paint. Some how he dropped it in his cut bucket, and decided to go rinse it out.

As for stilts, they seem to be more a hassle than a help. They sure are convieniant, but I will stick to my alum. 6 footer, and get some exercise.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
35 yrs. ago I could almost run a marathon in stilts, felt as natural as new sneakers. I still put them on for Halloween or some other amusement for the kids.
Work in them today? Maybe. They really don't bother me that much. I'm also 6'2" and don't have to set them very high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts