Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So since I've decided to pull the trigger on a 7x14 enclosed trailer I can't help myself but to go ahead and dream up the layout. I've been measuring tools and everything that's going in the trailer and finding a place for it.

Here is what I've come up with so far. This is pretty much all of the large tools that will be going into the trailer that I can come up with right now and I still have plenty of room for more tools!

What do you guys think so far? I'm trying to keep most weight low and towards the center of the trailer.

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Sounds like it will work well with what tools you have now. I like how you split and rotated the thing for better viewing. Why didn't I ever think of that?

I drew up the plan for my van in sketchup but ended up changing half the stuff as I went and fitted things in real life. Perspective in sketchup can be deceiving.

·
Eater of sins.
4,570 Posts
So since I've decided to pull the trigger on a 7x14 enclosed trailer I can't help myself but to go ahead and dream up the layout. I've been measuring tools and everything that's going in the trailer and finding a place for it.

Here is what I've come up with so far. This is pretty much all of the large tools that will be going into the trailer that I can come up with right now and I still have plenty of room for more tools!

What do you guys think so far? I'm trying to keep most weight low and towards the center of the trailer.

You really need to post the Sketchup file so we can all take a crack at designing your trailer.

I sure there will be the odd teddy bear or the like installed by some wag but it might be a lot of fun.

Andy.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian, I haven't completely settled on where to get the trailer from yet. I'm leaning towards Trinity Cargo Trailers just because.... well no reason really. I tried to call them yesterday and didn't get an answer but I never tried back.

I'd really like to find the closest manufacturer to my location in Southeast Alabama.

Scipio,
I think I will upload it to warehouse. My internet is acting up at the moment when I just tried. I'll get it up there soon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I really like the way you drew that - I always did simple elevations. Its a cool perspective.

Where are you going to store all of your other tools? Are there going to be additional shelves and drawers in the front of the trailer?

I can't wait to see the finished product.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Roof,

I saw your comment on my other thread about Bob's and Rolls Right.

It appears that Rolls Right doesn't build enclosed trailers, just open ones.

I checked out Bob's and I don't think the manufacture them. On the website he mentioned something about ordering them. I know mine is going to need to be custom built so I wasn't going to bother with trying to go through him and just go direct to the factory. Unless you think it may be a smart idea?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Oh I don't know. My father lives outside of Marianna (Greenwood) and he's buddies with them is all I know.

The only downside to buying direct is service after the sale.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
These are not French cleats, they are cargo rails on spacer blocks so interlocking cleats on the back of the shelves hook on.

I have used this system with shelves fully loaded with tools and on bumpy back roads, never the slightest problem.

The upper rails are doubled and slotted to take slat wall fixtures.

Here is the slideshow:

http://s436.photobucket.com/user/knottree/slideshow/Trailer Transformation

Attachments

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Basswood mentioned being able to move everything out of his trailer.
I also keep my shelves nearly removable. If I had to, I could move everything out, including shelves, in about 20 to 30 minutes. Of course I'm guessing. It might take longer. When I planned things out, I was thinking that if something happened to the trailer, all my stuff would be stuck inside.
This way, if something should happen to the trailer, I can move my stuff out and then right back into a new trailer.
I also noticed you have a miter saw set up inside your trailer. I see some pictures of people doing that, but its not really for me. The saw will make alot of sawdust in your trailer and how often do you really need to work inside the trailer. I try to set my saws up as close as possible.
If that works for you, that's all that really matters. I just noticed it. It all depends on what work you do most.
I do have my aluminum brake set up inside my trailer. We don't do a huge amount of aluminum work, but I never have to load or unload it, and it is always set up ready to go.

·
Registered
12,344 Posts
I was planning on cleaning out my trailer today. However, after seeing Bass's work, I think I will just leave it as is. Even organized, mine is a sad, sad version of his. Who am I kidding, it isn't even anything close to a version of his.

Mine looks more like someone begrudgingly and with very little forethought built some shelves and packed all their crap in it. Oh, wait. :whistling:laughing:

If I get to it, pics at 11.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I'm anxious to get my own trailer... but now I'm afraid I won't be able to use it for a month after I get it, after planning a layout and then building it! I'm afraid if I put any tools in it first I'd never get anything built in there .

1 - 20 of 26 Posts