Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys been reading the forum for a while an decided to join.

I am in Saskatchewan Canada, which is to say I work in the cold. In the -30c range here now with -40's for wind chill. (-30c is -22f -40c is -40f )

Any tricks tools for cold weather?

I now use fishing gloves. 'Bushline' is the brand. they are the green ones from Wall-mart. Used them in -20c all day and my hands warm. Plus I can handle nails/screws with them on. I used to use a 'liner' glove on my nail hand and 2 on the hammer/drill hand.

Also got a balaclava that snowmobiler's use. Some high tech material. Used it tonight outside in -28 for over an hour and my face was really warm. Still use a fuzzy hat as this is usually worn under a helmet and is not warm on the top. Really thin material there.

Any other tricks?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
-40?? in whatever, I'd be sitting on a log inside the fireplace!

We just had a cold front pass through and went into the 50's F for almost two days. I had to wear a jacket, long pants and shoes w/socks, hated every minute of it. Back to T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops now, life as it should be.

Look into hunting gear, they even have electrically heated underwear now.

·
Dig with BIG TOYS
133 Posts
damn... -40 and i thought -5 was bad enough... when its that cold i guess double up on the thermals, i wear underarmour as a base layer for hunting and when its cold i use it for work... but damn teetorbuilt was right id be scared to walk out the door if it was that cold... but you should look at cabelas.com for hunting appareal that could be helpful... and i know carrhart makes some nice outerware for **** like that.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I get to work in a nice climate-controlled office environment, but the husband (drywaller) used to work unheated new housing. They'd bring portable heaters along. Layering also is a key - double up on the thermal longjohns and long-sleeved undershirts. Balaclavas work great. Gloves were always a problem - in order to get ones that would be warm enough, they would be too thick to work comfortably in. Then he got these little heat packs that you can put in gloves; the type where you've got to crack something on the inside and then there is a chemical reaction which keeps the packet warm for a couple of hours. He could then wear those with regular gloves. Fortunately, the "old man" is semi-retired now and doesn't work in the cold weather anymore.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try not to do exterior work when it is -25c or below.

Actually -20c and sunny with no wind is not a bad day.
-10c , cloudy and windy can be miserable.

·
hurtlocker
555 Posts
I dont have much advice you are getting into some temps where i would not work, but I wear lots of layers nothing tight or stiff
trying diffrent things is important everybody seems to have a diffrent system
I am a big fan of wool bibs
but i do want to know what kind of guns and staplers you are running in those temps

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,390 Posts
Don't know, don't care. Sorry, but I'm not working in anything below -5ºF. This is why I have a shop. 62ºF in the winter and kinda hot in the summer.

I don't consider it to be cold until it is about 20ºF And I usually wear my fall jacket up until that temp. Winter coat below.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
Don't know, don't care. Sorry, but I'm not working in anything below -5ºF. This is why I have a shop. 62ºF in the winter and kinda hot in the summer.

I don't consider it to be cold until it is about 20ºF And I usually wear my fall jacket up until that temp. Winter coat below.
Make that 2 of us!!!:thumbup:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The compressor and nailer do not like it much. Neither do I!!!!:sad:

I noticed my circular saw complains too.

I buy all cold weather cords that are good for -40c.

The ski/mountain wear may be a good idea. Also am looking into snowmabile and hunting stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
ever tried military issue goretex and mickey mouse boots.cheap and very effective

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you have a website where I can see some goretex gloves you mention? Any I see are to bulky for handling nails and such.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
A carpenter friend of mine says tough duck overalls+jacket is best, b/c you can take off the jacket if you get warm. I usually wear as many layers as I can, and I don't bother buying expensive weather gear b/c I work in stucco and my clothes have a very short life span. I Like getting military surplus, cuz its cheap and well made, and usually has quite a bit of life left when I get it.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you have a website where I can see some goretex gloves you mention? Any I see are to bulky for handling nails and such.
when i mention goretex i mean the parka and pants.i use the ironclad windproof fleece and keep one pair in my coat in case the others get wet or if i drop a glove somewhere.i like to chop off the thumb and index.i would like to find a good waterproof pair of gloves that wouldnt limit dexterity too much.find some let me know.

·
Artisan Carpentry
1,985 Posts
The there is no such thing as "too cold"... just "bad clothes!":jester:

As others have said, Layers. Army Surplus is a good way to go.

The first layer should wick moisture away from the body. Dry=Warm

Fleece is good. I like fleece vests (keep the core warm with less bulk on the arms for movement).

Wool is still warm when wet.

Products with Thinsulate provide warmth without bulk.

Gortex is like house wrap, it lets water vapor escape, but keeps liquid water out (actually I think Tyvek is the same stuff).

I like Gortex parkas with pit zips... allows venting never want to overheat then get sweaty and cold.

I have Carhartt insulated bibs for winter work... mine are black rather than brown to capture a little more warmth from the sun.

Get a Peet boot dryer. Dry your boots each night. Best to have two pair and alternate... especially if you don't have the boot dryer.

The baklava is great, with a warm hat.

Here is a photo from a back country ski trip across Yellowstone Park. -20 to -40 most of the time and we were winter camping. No cozy lodge or campfire. Stayed warm and had a great time... out in the cold, day and night, for 7 days. Only saw people on the first and last days of the trip. Winter is the time to enjoy the outdoors without the bother of other people...

...hey, where did everybody go?:blink:

I used to play hockey in Canada on outdoor rinks, -40* was perfect. Numbs the shins so a slap shot to the shin without pads doesn't hurt so much... 'til later anyway.

If you saw an exposed ear lobe on another player, you would thwack it as you skated by... it was a courtesy really... don't want any frostbite out there.:jester:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Hey guys been reading the forum for a while an decided to join.

I am in Saskatchewan Canada, which is to say I work in the cold. In the -30c range here now with -40's for wind chill. (-30c is -22f -40c is -40f )

Any tricks tools for cold weather?

I now use fishing gloves. 'Bushline' is the brand. they are the green ones from Wall-mart. Used them in -20c all day and my hands warm. Plus I can handle nails/screws with them on. I used to use a 'liner' glove on my nail hand and 2 on the hammer/drill hand.

Also got a balaclava that snowmobiler's use. Some high tech material. Used it tonight outside in -28 for over an hour and my face was really warm. Still use a fuzzy hat as this is usually worn under a helmet and is not warm on the top. Really thin material there.

Any other tricks?
Skin a polar bear :thumbsup: A little heavy to wear, but guaranteed warm !!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
-40?? in whatever, I'd be sitting on a log inside the fireplace!

We just had a cold front pass through and went into the 50's F for almost two days. I had to wear a jacket, long pants and shoes w/socks, hated every minute of it. Back to T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops now, life as it should be.

Look into hunting gear, they even have electrically heated underwear now.
I hear ya on that. If it gets below 70 degrees I start to freeze to death.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts