Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need help. Does anyone know what we have to do to work for the flood in new orleans. I'm a master and contractor here in houston tx. and i am getting more calls and its hard to ignore to the point i may start and keep a buisness in that area after the repairs, but i new info on what i need to do to get in i.e: permits to work, permits for jobs and suppliers. Also i will be looking for qualified electricans to help out I would like to find local that live there. I also need formen and estimators. What is the going rate to pay guys and what ot charge customers. I do not have all the info yet. Fax 281-991-5502 resumes welcomed. I am working on a 2400 sqft home with a possible agreement to fix their home in return to stay in this home, which is a summer getaway home, with my guys. This home is 2 blocks from Tulan University.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looking to help also.

Shane I too am an Electrical Contractor in Southern California (originally for Detroit Michigan) who is looking to move to the gulf coast to work and possible permenently. I am 30 years old own my own business BUT still work for some one else. I just recently divorced and never liked california to begin with that's why I am looking to move, also I went from detroit to St thomas usvi in 1995 after hurrican marylyne to do repair work. Now I am currently a foremen for Mel Smith Electric all we do is Prevailing wage projects mostly schools. My pay rate now is over 45 dollers an hour. I would be looking to come as close as possible to replacing that wage, I have a van with all tooles necessary to work including a generator. I also have a 18 foot jayco camper to live in if necessary. Drop me a line, I am looking to go and start working on my own or going in for someone else under contract. [email protected]n Brooks

shane colston said:
I need help. Does anyone know what we have to do to work for the flood in new orleans. I'm a master and contractor here in houston tx. and i am getting more calls and its hard to ignore to the point i may start and keep a buisness in that area after the repairs, but i new info on what i need to do to get in i.e: permits to work, permits for jobs and suppliers. Also i will be looking for qualified electricans to help out I would like to find local that live there. I also need formen and estimators. What is the going rate to pay guys and what ot charge customers. I do not have all the info yet. Fax 281-991-5502 resumes welcomed. I am working on a 2400 sqft home with a possible agreement to fix their home in return to stay in this home, which is a summer getaway home, with my guys. This home is 2 blocks from Tulan University.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The going rate in houston for journeymen in houston service tech are 17-22 an hour. The cost of living is a lot cheaper. I still do not know what it will cost in new orleans. I'll send my 2 guys to new orleans on contract basis untill I can find locals that will work for thease dollars amount. This is better for my buisness. What i'm looking for is 10+ years in the service repairs mostly residental area. My experience is if your profecient in this area you probly can work in any area. Residental is the hardest area to make a profit and there are few technicans that can hang in there.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
new orleans LE only make 300 a week.(law enforcement) I would try to get hooked up with fema. They are currently carrying around goverment issue credit cards they can charge 250,000 dollars on without a bid. Which is the biggest scam i have ever heard of. It use to be 2500 dollars and they had problems with fema people abusing them. 200 billion dollar reconstruction allocated. Thats says 200 million at least being scammed all over the place.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
"My pay rate now is over 45 dollers an hour. I would be looking to come as close as possible to replacing that wage"

Yeah- hello!!!! The "pay rate" down there would be around a third of that, which isn't made up for by "lower cost of living". Also, if you're planning on starting a business there, you'll need to get licensed in Louisiana.

Bob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Bob, im familar the the local pay rates in N.O. I think its around 18 for a skilled journeyman. I have a supervisor that i've been working with for 4 years and he is wanting to move back to N.O. and I want to find local electricans that needs work. I know I'll need liscense, I heard that our texas lic will receprocate, but I'm not sure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts