Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

working hours

6K views 36 replies 33 participants last post by  Tscarborough 
#1 ·
What time does your day begin and end?
My boss often complains because I am not up at the crack of dawn like he and the roofers... but I have been known to work well past midnight on several occasions. The point is that I am not lazy, just that I am not a morning person.

I was just wondering what time your work day begins and ends on an average work week?

#2 ·
Grumpy said:
What time does your day begin and end?
My boss often complains because I am not up at the crack of dawn like he and the roofers... but I have been known to work well past midnight on several occasions. The point is that I am not lazy, just that I am not a morning person.

I was just wondering what time your work day begins and ends on an average work week?
Right after we deal with gender (in)equality, the resolution of the Israeli-Palestinian problem, and similar small stuff ;) , we can get warmed up to the real issue of resolving the morning person/night person conflict. Can't be done. The morning person can't sleep if there is any light in the sky, and comes across as an efficient and effective worker because there's no-one else to disturb them at that early hour. The night owl, is just warming up when the sun sets, but unless they are playing in a jazz bar, there's no-one around to appreciate their labour. Most businesses are run by the early birds, and so, that's the tune that the rest have to play to. However, the night owls are much more fun to be with. Personally, I think it's genetic. :)

#3 ·
Not genetic at all... unless I have a far off recessive gene. My mother wakes before the farmers, my father shortly after. My Old man is out the door by 5:30 am and my mother usually wakes at about 3:30 -4:30 am. If it's after 4 she over slept.

See the same applies to night owls as it applies to early birds. When I am sitting at the office taking off a print at 8 pm I know nobody is going to call me to break my concentration. If I sleep into the morning rush hour I know I will have a nice drive to work just after the morning rush just before th elunch rush. I do my work better at night.

#10 ·
Depends on the job. Some cities only allow work at certain times. Hermosa Beach won't let you start till 8 am. Nearby cities let you start at 7. Some commercial jobs let us start at 6. The one I'm on now is an elementary school is a residential area and we can't start till 7. I get up early so I'd rather start early and get it over with for the day. I don't like to waste my time sleeping, I've got too many things to do.
I did a job two years ago that started at 8 and the woman next door would sit by her clock and if we started 1 minute early she would be outside screaming and calling the police. I guess she liked to sleep in. Well, I put my compressor right next to her bedroom window(this is one of those beach houses that are 8 feet apart) and left the drain plug open so it would run for a long time. That was the last time I heard a complaint out of her.

#12 ·
up at 5:00, loading tools and misc @ 6:00, out of the driveway at 6:30. Try to be at the jobsite by 7:00ish setting up and actually working @ 7:30. Cleanup starts somewhere in the 4:30, 4:45 area depending on the mess I've made and the tools I have out.

#13 ·
I Am Sleeping!

Well when I was younger I started at 5AM and worked until dark.

Now that I am a little older and have paid my dues I come in around 8AM.
and go home at 5PM then after dinner I go to my home office and run my other business until 12-1 AM

Life is great! Looking forward to retirement. Priceless!

#17 ·
It really depends on the job and how swamped we are.If need be 6 to dark ,and were packin lunch. If no hurry 9 to 5 lunch off site

#19 ·
Up at 7:15am, bring the youngest to day camp for 8am and in the shop at 8:15am. Get to go home anywhere between 4:30p and 9:00p, usually around 6:30p. If I have some eCab rendering to do I am usually up til 1am. If not then off to bed around 11:30p

#22 ·
8-5 m-f officially, but not shy about the occasional short day or working at my desk 'til 8 or 9 pm if I'm inspired. I work late 'caus I'm interested, if I'm doing it, otherwise, I'm off duty and work can wait. No more weekends for me, but if the guys want a little overtime I'll try and set 'em up with something. They don't do it much though, I guess they like having a life too.

#24 ·
Until she lets go of them it will have to be.:blink:

#26 ·
Wake up between 4am and 5am. get the paperwork done (house is quiet, easier to concentrate.) Out the door between 7am and 8am generally. Everything depends on where I am working. If i can start at 5am or 6am I am there. If I can't start till 8am or 9am I find something else to do, office paperwork, bids, clean out the truck, etc.

Many commercial clients I can only work between 11pm and 6am so I pull an all nighter. After so many years on the fire department, I can adapt to any hours and it doesn't bother me. 3rd shift is actually kind of nice as I can get a lot done during the dya as well.

Onee thing I try to do is be done for the day by 5pm or so, spend some time relaxing with the family. I would rather get up a couple hours early the next morning to do the paperwork that do it that night.

#27 ·
I usually work 6:30am to 7:00pm
Sometimes earlier, sometimes later.
I don't work out in the field but I do act as the Production Manager.
I order all materials, schedule jobs, stop by and check on most jobs daily.

I also act as the office manager.
I put all job folders together, input data into computer, pay all bills, make bank runs, answer phones schedule all sales appointments, etc.

I act as the service manager and do most of the services myself. Most of them are just replace a seal failure or stress crack with a new sash.

I act as the marketing manager.
I meet with all of the marketing reps, deal with all of the online lead companies. We do a lot of shows (Home shows, fairs, seafood festivals, craft shows, boat shows, etc.) I schedule all of these shows and I work at them half of the time. This year we will do 35 shows. That's down from 51 last year. This job alone keeps me pretty busy.

I also sell for the company. I only sell about $400,000 per year. My partner will sell the other $1,400,000.

We will produce approx. $1,800,000 this year with only me and my business partner doing all of the work except banging the nails.
With only 2 of us doing all of the work we do work some long hours and during home show or fair season we will do it 7 days a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.