Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you guys may know I am a very complex person. That translates to "Crazy". I just recently (2 weeks ago) quit my job to focus on my business except a funny thing happened. My Monster.com "Search Agent" which is emailed to me weekly contained a whole bunch of Home Depot adds looking for sales. I applied just for the heck of it.

Looks like the plans for my business are back on hold. Your talking to Home Depot's newest "At Home" siding and window salesman.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife and I...

My wife and I had one of those salesman come to our house for a presentation of sorts. He did an amazing job, very friendly and informative (however the prices were way too high).

Good luck!!

Grumpy said:
As you guys may know I am a very complex person. That translates to "Crazy". I just recently (2 weeks ago) quit my job to focus on my business except a funny thing happened. My Monster.com "Search Agent" which is emailed to me weekly contained a whole bunch of Home Depot adds looking for sales. I applied just for the heck of it.

Looks like the plans for my business are back on hold. Your talking to Home Depot's newest "At Home" siding and window salesman.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Florcraft said:

Surprise, Surprise, Surprise!
I Agree with Florcraft !!!

As far as this thing gets you Grumpy, Congrats. (I think...)
Anyhting to do with Manapause thing you mentioned earlier?

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The menopause thing I mentioned earlier is a combination of many changes occuring in my life all at once. This actually had nothign to do with it. I think I applied for this job the day after I posted that menopause post.

I applied on a whim and I got hired two days later.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Sorry, I don't understand why anybody would want to work for HD after doing what you have been doing for the last few years. It may be none of my business, but surely in the very least the paycheck is going to suffer dramatically. Did you have a big fall out with your previous boss or something? I can't understand why anybody would choose to go work for them after doing what you were doing.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I certainly would not work for Home Depot now because I love my current employer, and it would not be wise to do so.
But if anything happened, I just might consider it, because their health care plan probably rocks, and I know I could be a "real pro" and not someone who was transfered from the paint dept.
Although I would still look at other specialty store's too.

Reactions: EthanB

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mike, One asnwer to why I want to do this: Sales training.

Not a big fall out. Infact he asked me to come back to work for him. There was a personal situation that came up that required me to make some hard decisions and since I was making hard decisions I decided to leave his employment as well, siknce I knew that was a pending hard decision.

Like I said I applied to home depot on a whim. The job is 100% commission, some guys are making $100k a year. I know my salary will probably suffer, but sometimes to take a step forward we have to take a step backwards. Besides I also plan to start doing the gutter and cedar cleaning on the side until April of next year when I will more than likley quit at home depoit unless I am on track to make $200k a year. If I am on track to make $200k a year I will stay with them ;)

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Glad to hear you and your former boss are on good terms, since I remember part of your plan involves keeping a good working relationship with him. :Thumbs:

I'm actually pretty familiar with HD and its money making potentials. I just hope you take those high figures with a grain of salt. I know 3 guys working in sales at big boxes, HD and Lowes and haven't heard of anybody breaking the 60K mark yet.

Many moons ago I spent 5 years in hardcore sales. The most common trait that management used on recruitment was to throw around the industries highest paid salesmans earnings as what you could attain. After 3 years I was the highest earning salesman at my location yet my income was still 1/3 of those recruitment numbers.

Sometimes we might find out that those guys doing the top numbers are only able to do them because they have something nobody else has. For instance a guy might have a brother-in-law that owns a construction company and feeds him all his work. Those top wage earners aren't playing on a fair playing field sometimes, but management only talks about the gross numbers for recruitment purposes.

HD like most companies of its size seems to figure out what somebody needs to earn in their position based on the competition and then sets the pay plan accordingly so they can reach it and no more. While the pay plan may seem open ended at first glance, there are usually things that cap your potential, such as the number of hours you can work a week and the time it takes from start to finish to complete a sale.

Regardless, I was surprised to hear you working for the Depot instead of doing your own thing. I'm sure you will make the most of it. :)

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MIke I totally agree with you. I understand that the people hiring me are all salesmen. I do know it is possible though, because just by chance my first day was the branch meeting which happens once a month. They were announcing everybody's numbers and passing out rewards to the top closers like bears tickets and home depot gift cards.

Yes I'd probably have to be with them a little while to become one of those top closers. To be honest if I make $5k a month between now and my wedding I will be satisfied. I won't be thrilled but I won't be broke.

I'm there for the education. I am a rather good salesman choosing the cusonltive role and earning trust. I would like to have a few manipulative tricks for those hard to close customers that you know want to go with you but are scared to make a decision.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts