Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Secore Construction
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a call from a rep asking me if I was willing to do some monthly inspection work and some store repairs for them. They over see the maitenance work for Jcp,cvs and some other large chains.
Is this a foot in the door or a waist of my time. Has anybody done any work for this company?
The rep I was talking to was telling me it can turn into some store remolding work and other large jobs.

·
Head Light Bulb Changer
847 Posts
All I have to offer is that as with any other prospective customer, don't base your decision about the current deal on the possibility of future work - that's a chump's game.
YUP! When I start hearing someone telling me about 'A foot in the door' with a low price, and the promise of future work, I start thinking about a foot in his ass. If you low-ball the first one, then you're stuck with that price. Charge full price on the first few and then talk about volume discounts and/or 'I'll throw that in since I'm here'. Don't get suckered in - It's the oldest trick in the book.

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
It reminds of a job I did not long ago for a realtor, he said give me a discount on this job, I'll be bringing you more clients. I should have listened to my gut feeling and walked. Douchebag's check bounced.
Don't base any jobs on possible future jobs...

·
Registered
732 Posts
I met and worked a little with Pete Ferrandino about 17 years ago, when I worked for another contractor and I was about 20. Seemed like a nice enough guy. Saw that company explode in terms of growth, got into environmental work, then was building starbucks all over the island, etc.

Anyhow, sometime you have to take a chance on things. I guess it comes down to how busy are you, and are you giving up other opps to pursue this. It should be pretty clear quickly if they are good to work for and if you don't like it, move on.

·
Kowboy
2,582 Posts
I've done some retail store work. The nice part about it is the deadlines which you can make work in your favor. There are incredibly painful penalties if a store doesn't open when the mall does or on time. This makes your higher-but-reliable-quality price look much more attractive.

I billed 3K for six hours work several months ago. It was quite a drive, but the archy changed the appliance location and screwed up the ADA compliance on the adjacent cabinets and top. My contact, that I've done business with for over 30 years, asked them if they wanted to shop or fugetaboutit. They chose the latter because it was less painful than the alternative.

·
Kowboy
2,582 Posts
This isn't the only time this has happened either. When I lived in Michigan, my guy in Ohio called and asked how far I was from a local new mall. I was about 40 minutes away.

The Florida fixture company had installed temporary corner bunkers because the tall showcases were incomplete. If the store didn't open with the temps gone and the showcases in, big fine.

I didn't even bid, I billed. They shipped the showcases and we met the deadline with room to spare. I didn't gouge 'em, but they're in no position to negotiate when you've got the reputation.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
I get the "promise" of just ending work all the time......if you'll just do this first one cheap.

Sorry NO.:no::no::no::no::no:

If you send 15 jobs, there is a good chance I will give you a break on the 16th one as a little bonus for your loyalty.

Don't fall for it......one of the oldest tricks out there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts