Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Last time I tried to work for the in laws I had my whole crew at their house, dump trailer, skid steer and box trailer to build a deck. My father in law tells me we can't start because he hasn't picked out railings. I almost hit him. His old deck is still falling apart

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I'd start charging for your work so you can hurry up and get out if SE michigan. Next job, say you'd do it for a bus ticket to texas. :D

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Jesus, you all got some different opinions about your families, eh?

It's nice to do something nice sometimes. You crusty old S.O.B's :)
I'll work for my old man any time.

Another story about working for family.

Did a kitchen for my sister about 3 years ago. Spent 3 weeks doing it, we had 1 day left and I gave my brother in law his bill. He goes well I can't pay you until I get my taxes back (this was in November). I was so pissed, so I clean up all my tools and get in my truck trying not to flip out, and right as I'm putting it in drive he knocks on my window and goes "when are you going to take the rest of the trash". I almost curb stomped him. On top of all that he's a doctor and has money. That's what really pissed me off. He's just a stingy ass. Long story short he came up with the money the next day when I told him to read the contract he signed, specifically the section about late payment fees.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
For me the "family rate" means the one with the money pays. If I am struggling to make payments and you are doing to Europe on vacation, you are going to pay top dollar for the work I do for you. If you need help, and really don't have the resources, I will spend lots of time and materials helping you out. Actually, I treat all my customers like family.

·
Super Moderator
30,031 Posts
Like Darcy says. Nope. If they gave a crap about you they would have Paid you :thumbsup:
I disagree. I wouldnt charge my mom, why would I charge my wifes? If it wasnt for hsr I wouldn't have a great wife and a beautiful daughter.

A rural upbringing may be the reason for my way of thinking. I dont profit from family, atleast monetary. I do OK with out charging the woman who bore my wife. :thumbsup:

Reactions: onmywayup

·
Super Moderator
30,031 Posts
I'll work for my old man any time.

Another story about working for family.

Did a kitchen for my sister about 3 years ago. Spent 3 weeks doing it, we had 1 day left and I gave my brother in law his bill. He goes well I can't pay you until I get my taxes back (this was in November). I was so pissed, so I clean up all my tools and get in my truck trying not to flip out, and right as I'm putting it in drive he knocks on my window and goes "when are you going to take the rest of the trash". I almost curb stomped him. On top of all that he's a doctor and has money. That's what really pissed me off. He's just a stingy ass. Long story short he came up with the money the next day when I told him to read the contract he signed, specifically the section about late payment fees.
That dude is excluded from my previous post :eek:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
onmywayup said:
Built a 100 foot fence for my mother-in-law today with the crew. Made sure they got paid, but didn't charge her anything beyond that.

Hell of a lot of work on a 95 degree day for no pay, but it's gotta be worth the points with the in-laws, right?
Just got on ancestry and it turns out were related somehow so I have something I need help on....

I understand and do that too. Why does nobody want these done when its cool out?

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
I disagree. I wouldnt charge my mom, why would I charge my wifes? If it wasnt for hsr I wouldn't have a great wife and a beautiful daughter.

A rural upbringing may be the reason for my way of thinking. I dont profit from family, atleast monetary. I do OK with out charging the woman who bore my wife. :thumbsup:
I would do anything for my mother in law, just not her husband.

·
Super Moderator
30,031 Posts
Just got on ancestry and it turns out were related somehow so I have something I need help on....

I understand and do that too. Why does nobody want these done when its cool out?
They wait for the talent.......:thumbup:

My FIL needed his roof replaced four years ago. He was just off a bypass surgery. He wanted standing seam, I said Ill do snap lock in October, you pay materials. He tried to pay me, but I did it in a weekend. He fed us, fed us way to much beer and took me and my brother (other half of the work force) on a hog hunting trip. Wouldnt let us pay for chit. Even bought my brothers smokes. He probably came out in the negatives after getting our BBQ bills :laughing::clap:

Wife was "appreciative" as well :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts