Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Relentless
Space Mining
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had the crazy notion of using hourly pay for local work and salary for out of state. Give them a generous daily pay and work their bones off instead of worrying about overtime. I know, I'm terrible.

Anybody pay differently for different types of work?

@Kingcarpenter1

·
Super Moderator
11,065 Posts
Years ago, when we worked out of state, I would pay my employees overtime for all hours worked. I would also pay for their hotel stay, and provide lunch. They provided all of their own transportation, and their other meals.

·
1 on 2
Mason
2,880 Posts
I have no experience in it, but I would think a salary would get almost resented after too many 12-14 hour days in a row unless it beat what overtime would pay. You would almost have to pay straight time around the clock if you're planning long days. The guys can do the math (sometimes, lol).

Depends on the guys, too. Young and single vs. old, married, w/kids. Could be a welcomed adventure either way, now that I think about it...🤔

·
Registered
Remodel
35,588 Posts
I just had the crazy notion of using hourly pay for local work and salary for out of state. Give them a generous daily pay and work their bones off instead of worrying about overtime. I know, I'm terrible.

Anybody pay differently for different types of work?

@Kingcarpenter1
Good luck explaining that to any labor board. Doing that can get you into big dollar trouble, IMO.

·
Registered
479 Posts
... and then you have to register in the proposed state, more filings, employee stats income tax, yadda ..

If it's a short infrequent you can maybe risk being a gypsy... But if you start to have a presence you may need to rethink it ..

Once upon a time
...the old company I worked for had work all over the the country, and in other countries. But our main stay was NJ,NY, Ma, and CT.

We were based out of CT. We sent residents from CT to work days, weeks at sometimes months at a time out of state. I think in the early years we ignored the implications until we hired NY, NJ,. And Ma, people to work for us. Ny and NJ residents commonly cross state lines to live and work. So we had to do things legitimately for state income taxes.
We eventually opened offices in these states as well. So we were legit. .

Just something to think about as you look at expanding.

Everyone and anyone always has a hand out ....

·
Registered
479 Posts
Three real world experiences...

As far as pay: we always paid their same rate, if they were hourly, salary, salary plus, it didn't matter

Paid milage, hotel, and a meal per diem that varied with the local. But generally $35-45 / day. Had to be backed up with reciepts, on an expense report.

Some guys would save up per diem, or a night or two of hotel in order to upgrade at the end of the week.

Company didn't care, as long as it fell in line with per diem and hotel rate and it had reciepts. So if you saved your per diem for ten days, and the eleventh day you had a good time with $350 in reciepts you got reimbursed.

I worked for one of our Defense Contractors before that. Went on the road for them a few times. They had a per diem but not certain what the rate was, but they would give us cash as well, plus a 10% out of home rate, we got paid our hourly plus overtime after eight. Stayed the weekends unless it was a holiday. Didn't work the weekends either ....

And then there was an outfit I worked briefly for, they offered nothing, no incentives, other than your lucky to have a job with us. Put three guys in a Bates type motel in one rm. The staff rolled in a cot, making the room a wall to wall bed ...

Two of the three guys who was supposed to stay said f that, and commuted with out telling the office. Office didn't want to pay the travel time or wear and tear on their truck.... ( I couldn't get out of there fast enough)

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Our guys got their regular wages, but we tried to work them long hours so they got some OT making it worth their trouble of traveling. Also provided them a motel allowance, paid mileage to and from, plus a daily stipend to cover good meals. The smart ones found the bargain motels and places to eat, shared a room, did some of their own cooking and could make out pretty good on travel work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts