Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Finisher
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It just dawned upon me, that I'm always getting more done after business hours. Mostly, I enjoy when the installations stop, and the employees go home.

It's peaceful and allows me time to think clearly and strategize on implementing new sales, marketing and business processes.

During the day the field and office is super busy, which can be frustrating, because my attention is needed on a consistent basis, taking up my time that could be spent doing the above.

My staff is excellent, and fully trained. They've proved it over the past year, because I've been out of the office quite a bit, and the business performs well, without me present.

I give them the freedom and encouragement to make most business decisions, but it seems they lack the confidence to make even minor decisions when I'm around. How did this happen?

Sorry for the rant.

Who finds themselves in the same situation here?

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
My staff is excellent, and fully trained. They've proved it over the past year, because I've been out of the office quite a bit, and the business performs well, without me present.

I give them the freedom and encouragement to make most business decisions, but it seems they lack the confidence to make even minor decisions when I'm around. How did this happen?
If they are alone and they screw up, they can fix it before you know it was ever a problem. If you are present, they are afraid that you will intervene and flame them before they can make it right.

·
Registered
819 Posts
have you considered hiring a supervisor?

divide his wages by all your employees and hours worked and you may only have to raise your prices a few bucks an hour or increase your markup on materials

this would give you the free time to come up with more idea's/sales without working your life away

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
If they are alone and they screw up, they can fix it before you know it was ever a problem. If you are present, they are afraid that you will intervene and flame them before they can make it right.
that's an excellent point.

It kind of reminds me of the thread about the "contractors" voice mail being full.

I wonder how many messages are left each day by people wanting direction on how to solve a problem that they should already be able to solve?
Stephen

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Are you micro-managing? A lot of people have the ability to get the job done by figuring it out and doing it their own way. If the boss is around it is easier just to ask him, vs doing it themselves and risk not doing it the way the boss wanted.

That is an advantage of having long term employees. They know want you want and don't have to ask.

·
Home Repairs
291 Posts
When I left construction after the housing crunch, I ended up with a large real estate team doing field service work for a few years. We had a 10-15 minute sit down every morning, and every member of the office staff was asked if they had any suggestions, questions, or complaints. The meetings would also focus on everything and anything that occurs with the staff during the work week. Our boss (Broker) made it clear to everyone that their input was every bit as valuable as his own. It didn't take but a few days after being there for me to see the confidence each person had in their positions. If it got to the point where the staff could not make a decision with a problem....only then were they to bring it to him. When he absolutely had to be the final word, he would gather the the respective staff members and give a calm and analytical solution to the problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts