Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Workers Comp

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  eastend 
#1 ·
I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to start up and am trying to figure out what it would cost me to cover myself with workers comp here in Indiana?

I would be working completely by myself. Can you still fill out a waiver to to bypass the requirement? If you did sign the waiver and you cut a finger off who pays? Personal insurance????

Any rough idea on the dollar amount per $100 dollars of payroll? I couldn't find anything through google.

#6 ·
In Illinois I don't need it as an officer of the company(owner in this case)
If you cut off a finger you pay.Liability only pays for the other party ,not you,hence the name liability.
I just got WC updated for a commercial demo and remodel job with a company that specializes in that area and it was 26% in Il.I found that hard to believe but could not find a better price quick.

#11 ·
Be careful and check the fine print.

In NYS there is a default base pay rate of $25,000 a year per employee that WC is based upon.

So if you hire bob as a helper, and over the course of the year his wages are say $8,000. You will owe workmans comp $4800 plus 25%. To the state in tax...so $6,000 a year to pay a guy $8,000. Now on top of that you have all the taxes.

So be sure to check THAT out...

That caveat here in NY was a glorious way for union labor to screw over the small business.

#12 ·
I'll look into the whole "waiver" deal. I think I'd rather just pay and have the peace of mind. I worked for a guy who cut every corner he could. Then he fell off a roof and broke his back. Not worth watching everything you've worked for go up in smoke...

I'll give my agent a call and update later. Thanks for all the input.

#13 ·
I have a waivable policy in Illinois and of cost me $1100 annually, after a year with no claims it goes down something like 75% which make no sense cause I can't claim on it anyway. I was told it was a new law in Illinois that a construction buisness owner is required to have work comp on himself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.