Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so this guy shows up for his first day of work and within 30 minutes falls off a ladder and wrenches his knee. Nothing serious and he refuses our offer to take him to the hospital. However, to make a long story short, for the past 2 weeks or so he has come up with one reason or another (most are injury-related) to not show up for work. He's gone to the doctor and the report says "can return to work IF no prolonged standing or walking", yet the guy always has some reason for not coming in. We're pretty sure he's going to try to nickel and dime us to death with workers comp, if he's not outright faking the whole thing as a pro or something, and I'm just wondering if any of you could/would share stories you have of workers comp abusers?

-Christine

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Start keeping a record of each and every day something happens and keep records of his doctor's notes. Take pictures of his injuries as they occur. Wrie a company policy which states any injuries must be treated immediately.... meaning they must go to the hospital if you tell them to go.

Find an unrelated reason to fire them... like repeated tardiness or vulgarity tot he customer... basically keep your eye on them and the first time theys lip up you can their ass.

In addition communicate with your insurance company and state that you feel he is faking. Insurance companies have been known to hire private detectives to stake out claimers houses and wait for them to do some work around the yard. Workmans comp fraud is against the law. BTW it says on my job applications "Have you ever filed for a workers comp claim if so when and what where the details?"

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
Had a couple of those, hard to see those a$$holes comming. You gota weigh it out, a little cash now, verse 30 minutes of digging, so the last one I just offered him 50 bucks to lay off my insurance, he did, and I didn't have to bury him in the back yard.

Bob

·
Registered
114 Posts
never had any guys like that ,thank God. i know a few people who have though and it's been a nightmare for them. from what i know about the subject, it seems grumpy knows his stuff. get rid of this guy any way you legally can.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts