Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
141 - 155 of 155 Posts

·
The Dude
2,411 Posts
Talk to your dealer and see if they work with any upfitters or aftermarket guys for work accessories.

One dealer I was getting prices from offered a voucher to an upfitter they use with the purchase of a new work truck. It could be used towards boxes, racks or whatever else they offer.
Thanks man! I'm trying to get it all rolled into one easy low low payment ... if possible. I've got a lot of expenditures coming up, the truck being one of them.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Hard to decide whether to go back with a bed cover or a box and headache rack like this truck. If I go box I'd get the deep chest Weathergaurd

Reactions: smalpierre

·
The Dude
2,411 Posts
Hard to decide whether to go back with a bed cover or a box and headache rack like this truck. If I go box I'd get the deep chest Weathergaurd
I could be mistaken, but your jobs probably involve a whole lot bigger / heavier / whatever - but ... do you even really drive a work truck? Don't you have guys for that?

I have their modular HD fork liftable model.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've seen those - I had the one that doesn't stick out to go around a camper. All I can say is ... "Nice rack!" :D

I'm toting around mostly small tools, wire, and really expensive small boxes. Boxes like - 3 grand somebody could stuff under their shirt and walk away with.

It's also going to be my family truckster, so I don't want it to look too commercial'd up ;)

Thinking along these lines - except not a 5 foot box. Or a Ford:

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
I could be mistaken, but your jobs probably involve a whole lot bigger / heavier / whatever - but ... do you even really drive a work truck? Don't you have guys for that?

I've seen those - I had the one that doesn't stick out to go around a camper. All I can say is ... "Nice rack!" :D

I'm toting around mostly small tools, wire, and really expensive small boxes. Boxes like - 3 grand somebody could stuff under their shirt and walk away with.

It's also going to be my family truckster, so I don't want it to look too commercial'd up ;)

Thinking along these lines - except not a 5 foot box. Or a Ford:
View attachment 514929
I build houses - custom homes, some whole house renovations, boat docks, a little light commercial. For a few years was mostly selling,, building the company, now I'm tapped 10 houses deep until 2023, so took 2 custom homes a gut remodel I'm managing personally, ones 2022 parade home. We run most carpentry in house so we haul skid steer, mini ex, materials ect..

Yes I'm the GC but the bags, drills, saws, broom, shovel, pick and chain in my truck and will be until I'm dead or hang it up. I mostly do layout work hands on, but am ready to jump in on whatever

No SuV or grocery getter in my future. I'll have to dream of having a weekend ride lol

·
The Dude
2,411 Posts
I build houses - custom homes, some whole house renovations, boat docks, a little light commercial. For a few years was mostly selling,, building the company, now I'm tapped 10 houses deep until 2023, so took 2 custom homes a gut remodel I'm managing personally, ones 2022 parade home. We run most carpentry in house so we haul skid steer, mini ex, materials ect..

Yes I'm the GC but the bags, drills, saws, broom, shovel, pick and chain in my truck and will be until I'm dead or hang it up. I mostly do layout work hands on, but am ready to jump in on whatever

No SuV or grocery getter in my future. I'll have to dream of having a weekend ride lol
Yeahhhh buddy! I remember you did big fancy custom homes, docks and the like. I'm just getting fired back up, several years out of the game. Towing around big heavy gear is no longer in my deck of cards. Mostly wire, and the gear that it connects. Installing computer networks, fancy spy cameras, access control, fighting off indonesian hackers ... Pretty much end to end from the wire in the walls to the software that runs on it.

My wife drives the SUV. I drive the old beater donkey truck - 91 Chevy single cab - I call her "Ole Rusty"! If it wasn't for the snob factor (I'd never sell a job) I'd just drive that til the wheels fell off.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
You gonna have a gooseneck or 5th wheel hitch in your new shortbox truck?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
8 ft box, SWB, goose neck hitch is a must, with a puck system Curt fifth wheel for the camper

Same truck but Antimatter Blue that I just posted a pic of

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Ah, I thought earlier you'd said you were getting a shortbed. Thought you'd done gone and lost your marbles.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Ah, I thought earlier you'd said you were getting a shortbed. Thought you'd done gone and lost your marbles.

Nope 8 ft box, just didn't go back with a dually. We have a 5500 if I need one but we will see if I miss it 😆

Reactions: Lettusbee

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Supers truck is a 6.5' box, not a fan. I've tried them in the past and they are OK to tool around in but they suck to haul with

·
The Dude
2,411 Posts
Supers truck is a 6.5' box, not a fan. I've tried them in the past and they are OK to tool around in but they suck to haul with
I'm not gonna be pulling big trailers with mine, but I'm kind of curious about hauling - just for the box size or do they tow different too? Loved my F250 powerstroke - extended cab 8 foot box. Not sure I'd want to add the length of a crew cab on that though. That's the one I had that other rack like META showed. If it weren't for an HOA, I'd still be driving it.

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
View attachment 514928
I always hated digging for tools, I certainly wouldn't want to go deeper.

8 ft box, SWB, goose neck hitch is a must, with a puck system Curt fifth wheel for the camper
Oh, I see you use the company truck for family pleasure.

D.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My current service truck is getting beat. Nearly 300k miles, some of the box doors are rusty, none of them lock anymore, the cab is getting beat up....it's apparent that it's a work truck.

Frankly, it's getting embarrassing, and I also don't trust it nearly as much anymore even though I've always maintained it.

Time for another one. I lucked out big time with that one. Got it for a smoking deal in a no reserve auction, I won't stumble into a deal like that again.

So here's where I'm not sure what to do. New trucks are expensive, monthly payments are pretty high on them, and in the winter that might turn into an issue. The big plus is you get a truck that will last 10 years or more (maybe, they salt the roads here), a known history the whole time, and the factory warranty.

However, knock 10-15 grand off the price and you get still get a very clean truck with relatively low miles on it. Still get a decent service life out of it, and ultimately have a lower payment and lower total cost.

So what are the pros and cons of each that I might be missing? My big hang up with a brand new one is the salt on the roads here, it really reduces the life of the body and frame, plus the massive depreciation on it for resale.
I have always gotten used other than one brand new Chevy G30 1999, which was a total piece of crap. LOL.

·
The Dude
2,411 Posts
I always hated digging for tools, I certainly wouldn't want to go deeper.
As tall as trucks are these days - you damn near have to get a ladder to get up in the bed. You're digging one way or another. My friends 2500 - it's so tall, I can hardly see in the bed, much less reach anything from the side. Not that I'd do that to a brand new truck anyway.

Oh, I see you use the company truck for family pleasure.
Nah man, the camper is like ... the mobile office trailer! Yeah, that's it! Mobile office trailer ...

141 - 155 of 155 Posts