Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Nouveau Eccentric
2,100 Posts
Can't wait to hear how this transition goes!

What are you going to do with the rest of the not so essential stuff, buckets and milk crates? Trailer?
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a "Swapping My Body" thread this winter. 😃

I really don't think I could do it, I've been running the utes far too long to ever go back.

Good Luck,
D.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
I'm in uncharted territory, so I'm not entirely sure.

It's going to be an adjustment for everyone.

We already make lists and load and unload daily based on what we need. I'm thinking a job trailer will be coming at some point, either that or another service truck for the help to drive around, that we can load to the hilt with gear.

I think, provided we properly plan out each job, we can batch our tools accordingly and supplement what we need out of either buckets or boxes.

The stuff I moved over is used almost daily, or at least with extreme regularity. Things like the Bosch hammer drill were just redundancy, I have a cordless SDS that we use pretty much every time now.

I am worried about my wet stuff (like lube and fluids). Hopefully it's not a big deal since most of that was for the old truck, the new one should last awhile before all the stuff starts to leak out of it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #125 ·
The biggest problem with trailers, is your out of business if someone steals it. And the cops dont care.
I have theft on my insurance, I would increase it if I had a trailer full of stuff.

It would suck, but a line of credit and a trip to the supply house would be a stop gap until insurance paid out and/or your stuff started to slowly get found at pawn shops.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Well thsts it for big Bertha. Dealer bought it for what I bought it for in 2019 new....

had to kick a superintendent out of his truck and into the spare truck until my new beater gets here. They say 90 days so I say 6 months

Reactions: mrcat

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,273 Posts
Well thsts it for big Bertha. Dealer bought it for what I bought it for in 2019 new....

had to kick a superintendent out of his truck and into the spare truck until my new beater gets here. They say 90 days so I say 6 months
View attachment 514796
Dang, does the temp truck have leather and a touch screen in it? If not the big fella gonna be roughing it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,871 Posts
Why did you trade it in?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Why did you trade it in?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
I didn't trade it in I sold it. They cut me a check. I ordered a new one

Free truck for 80k miles, and new truck has 10 speed transmission. 16k delta at closing and I have a 3 year newer truck

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
I didn't trade it in I sold it. They cut me a check. I ordered a new one

Free truck for 80k miles, and new truck has 10 speed transmission. 16k delta at closing and I have a 3 year newer truck
The 10 speed is pretty cool, takes a little getting used it, but it tows great with it.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Dang, does the temp truck have leather and a touch screen in it? If not the big fella gonna be roughing it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Be rough but I'll make do 😆

have to squint for that screen

Reactions: mrcat

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
The 10 speed is pretty cool, takes a little getting used it, but it tows great with it.
It does tow great with it. The rest of the time it’s completely useless. I got a 2020 platinum F150 and the 10 speed shifts worse than my old 2015 Ford transit van. Rough and unpredictable.
Dealer says it’s normal. I say for a truck with a $70,000 sticker price I want to be able to go stoplight to stoplight without jerking the hat off my head.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
It does tow great with it. The rest of the time it’s completely useless. I got a 2020 platinum F150 and the 10 speed shifts worse than my old 2015 Ford transit van. Rough and unpredictable.
Dealer says it’s normal. I say for a truck with a $70,000 sticker price I want to be able to go stoplight to stoplight without jerking the hat off my head.
Hadn't tried the grocery getters but I drove FILs 21 dually for a day and it made me like the 10 speed, wasn't even on my radar before. Wasn't rough at all.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Hadn't tried the grocery getters but I drove FILs 21 dually for a day and it made me like the 10 speed, wasn't even on my radar before. Wasn't rough at all.
Grocery getter!?!

you sold your truck today! mine still sitting in my driveway. I bet it still smells like the dude that was driving it before your truck ass stole it from him.

·
Super Moderator
28,915 Posts
Grocery getter!?!

you sold your truck today! mine still sitting in my driveway. I bet it still smells like the dude that was driving it before your truck ass stole it from him.
5 ft boxes dont count homie 😆

Nah, I'm envious of you folks who are so rich yall have run around trucks like Andy @overanamd Travis @Xtrememtnbiker . Rides smooth like my wifes car. Us working stiffs gotta deal with them extra springs

To the smell, I can't smell, so if Tommy stank it up be my kids problem lol

Reactions: Paint Stick

·
The Dude
2,410 Posts
The used truck market has been insane. Finding a new truck even harder. My friend bought a 2020 gmc 2500 4x4 duramax .. whatever the trim package just under the top one is? Anyway - he's in "sell it now" mode, but his issue is getting into something else. He's gonna end up getting paid 10 grand or so for the service of driving it around all year for them :D

I'm looking at new trucks now. I want a chevy 1500 4x4 crew cab 6.5' box, work truck trim but loaded with all the goodies. End up being about 45k, so not terribly costly and a huge step up from my current monstrosity. Thing is, I've never bought a new vehicle of any kind, and there are some things I'd like installed off the bat. I want a leer 100rcc cap with a nice ladder rack - do the dealers install those, or I have to get that put on after the fact?

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Install after the purchase, unless you have a relationship with a commercial truck dealer. Even then you are at the mercy of the lowest paid employee.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
The used truck market has been insane. Finding a new truck even harder. My friend bought a 2020 gmc 2500 4x4 duramax .. whatever the trim package just under the top one is? Anyway - he's in "sell it now" mode, but his issue is getting into something else. He's gonna end up getting paid 10 grand or so for the service of driving it around all year for them :D

I'm looking at new trucks now. I want a chevy 1500 4x4 crew cab 6.5' box, work truck trim but loaded with all the goodies. End up being about 45k, so not terribly costly and a huge step up from my current monstrosity. Thing is, I've never bought a new vehicle of any kind, and there are some things I'd like installed off the bat. I want a leer 100rcc cap with a nice ladder rack - do the dealers install those, or I have to get that put on after the fact?
Talk to your dealer and see if they work with any upfitters or aftermarket guys for work accessories.

One dealer I was getting prices from offered a voucher to an upfitter they use with the purchase of a new work truck. It could be used towards boxes, racks or whatever else they offer.

121 - 140 of 155 Posts