Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
101 - 120 of 155 Posts

·
Safety Third
Red Seal Carpenter
1,079 Posts
There's an aluminum shop here that makes custom headache racks with a secondary rack, and some pockets at the front and back. When you don't need it, it's a double depth headache rack, when you do, move it to the back and it's a ladder rack. We have it on one truck, but not mine, so it might take me a while to get a picture of that if you're wanting.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Pro
6,136 Posts
This is what I put on my truck. The back rail swings around and pins to the upper side rail. The center support over the midspan of your bed can go up front and pin at the headache rack.

I went with their modelar format shipped to me. I fastened my boxes directly to the rack in order to eliminate any of the bed leg supports.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Coming back finally with an update. My service truck blew up in spectacular fashion on the highway the other day. Called all over the state looking for a replacement and found this one, went to get it this morning.

Not the one I ordered, but very similar.

I ordered a Decked storage system for the bed, and some made to order seat covers from Marathon. Hopefully it lasts a long time and a lot of jobs.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,273 Posts
So are you canceling the one you ordered?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
So are you canceling the one you ordered?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I can't cancel it, it had a build date already and actually went to the factory the day before my service truck went down. I told them I wasn't going to buy it though.

The lady was cool, she understood I couldn't be down a truck trying to run a business, and sent me back my deposit.

They still have to take delivery on it, but it will come in as dealer inventory now and go out on the lot.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
So if anyone wants a rusty service truck with just under 300k miles on it that certainly has a bad injector, probably has a blown turbo, and maybe has a burnt piston, just let me know. Cut you a smoking deal on it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
What engine is in it?
6.0 diesel.

I'm still on the fence about just trailering it to auction as is, or actually tearing into it when I have some down time to see if I can't at least get it running smoothly again.

I think this was the series of events, I've had an injector giving me intermittent issues over the last two years, sometimes it will stick, and a few minutes later, back to normal and then it might be good for weeks.

This time, it stuck wide open, I was on the highway so I floored it to attempt to burn up all the fuel it was dumping while we got to an exit.

A couple miles later she was just belching smoke and I'm pretty sure the turbo blew right before we got to the exit. I limped it up the ramp and into a big parking lot so I could call someone to come get me.

The oil is right full of diesel fuel, so that cylinder probably got washed bad, and I'm guessing that what caused the turbo to go.

I have spare injectors and an extra turbo, so I might isolate the injector, tear it apart, change it, make sure it starts, then swap the turbo and change the oil.

Or I might say screw it and list it as is, even trailer to someone's house if they need me to, and they can mess with it.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
6.0 engines could have plenty of issues as you apparently know.
Sounds like a very bad day when it gave up on you. 😟
It could have been a lot worse, no concrete scheduled that day.

We lost half the day basically, but my wife's brother was able to go grab my equipment trailer and come pick us up, then a friend loaned me one of his trucks for a few days to get us through the week.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
That was great, usually deposits are not refundable

David
Yeah, I thought I might end up eating it, but I should have had the thing by now too. I got bumped into the next model year because of the production problems they were having.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yeah, I thought I might end up eating it, but I should have had the thing by now too. I got bumped into the next model year because of the production problems they were having.
Yeah, I’ve been hearing about the shortage of vehicles a lot lately however I didn’t realize how bad it was until I started actually looking at the dealer parking lot as I drive past

The dealer lots are looking pretty thin, like half capacity

David

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
Yeah, I’ve been hearing about the shortage of vehicles a lot lately however I didn’t realize how bad it was until I started actually looking at the dealer parking lot as I drive past

The dealer lots are looking pretty thin, like half capacity

David
Nearly empty here, at least truck dealers.

The closest Ford dealer has only had 2 or 3 on the lot at a time the last several months.

The place I ordered mine from said they just got their first super duty in two months last week, and it was gone that day.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Yeah it’s kind of crazy,

I’m really not in the market for any new vehicles so I haven’t been paying attention to dealerships/inventory .

Later this year we were talking about replacing my wife’s car because it’s a 2008 with 160,000 on it but with the current situation will just keep driving it for a while until everything settles down in the car market

David

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Yeah it’s kind of crazy,

I’m really not in the market for any new vehicles so I haven’t been paying attention to dealerships/inventory .

Later this year we were talking about replacing my wife’s car because it’s a 2008 with 160,000 on it but with the current situation will just keep driving it for a while until everything settles down in the car market

David
It might be worth replacing sooner rather than later, a lot of manufacturers are not only having trouble getting components, but also replacement parts are drying up.

I've talked to some people that work on on the manufacturing side, and they said we are seeing a ripple from them either being shut down, or running a skeleton crew for months last year, inventory is going out faster than they can make it now because what they had stocked got wiped out.

Tires apparently are doing the same nonsense right now.

If it took almost a year to see the effects, I imagine it will take at least another year before things level off, probably longer if people don't start getting back to work.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
The car is in great shape and has no issues so we don’t need to replace it

It’s getting older and we wanted to stay ahead of any potential issues.

Although it is definitely a good time to try to sell it

David

101 - 120 of 155 Posts