Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
81 - 100 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
I just realized why I hate trucks so much.

Having that payment means you actually have to go out and sell work.

I haven't had a truck payment in years. I don't mind payments on things like trailers or equipment, but trucks just seem to lose value so fast.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I just realized why I hate trucks so much.

Having that payment means you actually have to go out and sell work.

I haven't had a truck payment in years. I don't mind payments on things like trailers or equipment, but trucks just seem to lose value so fast.
That’s why I only write one check or “payment” when I buy anything either new or used. I like the feeling of owning everything without payments

I rarely buy a used vehicle. All of mine I purchased new but I literally keep them until they are pretty much scrap

David

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
That’s why I only write one check or “payment” when I buy anything either new or used. I like the feeling of owning everything without payments

I rarely buy a used vehicle. All of mine I purchased new but I literally keep them until they are pretty much scrap

David
I tried that for years, but found out it's not practical yet. By the time I save up the cash for something, I've lost that much time using it to make money.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
I'm picking up a 2017 F350 next week with a steel bed and some bolt on tool boxes.

Slightly vain, but I think the body style on the 2017 and up trucks looks awesome, so that was my floor for the year.

Still expensive, but way less expensive then a new one with the same upfit.

This one is low miles but higher idle hours, as long as the cat isn't plugged up I'm not too worried, my diesel has almost 8000 hours on it.

·
Registered
Residential Framing, Post Frame Buildings, Garages
1,273 Posts
I'm picking up a 2017 F350 next week with a steel bed and some bolt on tool boxes.

Slightly vain, but I think the body style on the 2017 and up trucks looks awesome, so that was my floor for the year.

This one is low miles but higher idle hours, as long as the cat isn't plugged up I'm not too worried, my diesel has almost 8000 hours on it.
What'd you have to give for it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,514 Posts

Post some pics when you get it. 👍

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Update, the company I wanted to buy from doesn't even have the titles in possession, they are financed and want a few weeks after payment to get it. That doesn't fly from a private party.

Bit of a red flag there, I told them no thank you.

Too bad too, a lot of them are pretty clean.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Update, the company I wanted to buy from doesn't even have the titles in possession, they are financed and want a few weeks after payment to get it. That doesn't fly from a private party.

Is it like a brokerage company or something to assist sellers sell the vehicle?

I would be suspicious as well

David

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Is it like a brokerage company or something to assist sellers sell the vehicle?

I would be suspicious as well

David
From what I can gather they are a pipeline company and they are the owners of the equipment.

Not holding the title to owned equipment while trying to sell it doesn't sit right with me though, I've bought from dealerships that use a title company for the paperwork, but you pay and drive away with the truck, so it's no big deal usually.

I refuse to send payment for it then hope a title shows up so I can go pick up the vehicle. It shouldn't be that hard to pick up the vehicle, hand over a check, and grab the title at the same time.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts

Used trucks are high as Giraffes nuts right now, if it’s a big enough savings, look into a surety bond. some states call it a bonded title.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Well.....ordered a new truck from Ford.

The used market just wasn't throwing me any bones, good used trucks are over 40 grand. I built one and ordered it for 45,750.

I'm not looking forward to paying the thing off, but it should get me 10 years of work, or if the market is hot again in 5 years, I'll sell it and upgrade.

Not a service body though, we are going a different direction. I'm going to order the decked system and some side boxes to hopefully get more resale value out of the thing when it's time.

I hope it's in before the big spring auction, I want to send my current truck down there and roll whatever it brings right into this one.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
So...are you going to tell us about it or do we have to wait until after the wedding?
It's pretty bare bones, nothing spectacular. XL trim F350 in white.

7.3 engine with the 10 speed.

4.30 rear end with the locker, heavy suspension package, then the silly stuff like tailgate step, extra tie downs, spray in bed liner, tow package.

Came out to 45,750, but will be a little higher because I had her add the tailgate step and tie downs after we priced it.

I'm going to order the decked tool storage system and probably get a regular old crossover box for the stuff we don't use often like fluids, hard hats and random stuff that lives in my current random stuff box on the service truck.

I went back and forth about getting an upfit, and decided to go a little more low profile this time, other than lettering and DOT numbers it should mostly look and work like a normal truck, so I don't stick out like a sore thumb everywhere I go.

I might eventually add a ladder rack, but I have a general dislike for them, I hit my head on them a lot. Usually have I have long material to move I just take a trailer with me.

I'm a little nervous because I generally don't carry much debt, and hate vehicle debt, but I spoke to some guys I work for yesterday and they are selling floors and walls like madmen, they said I could stay as busy as I wanted, they are under manned. So that put me at ease a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
Just make sure you spend a bit of time test driving other trucks with that 10 speed automatic. I have it in my new F150 and it took a lot of getting used to. It’s still annoys me sometimes. For a lot of guys I know it was a dealbreaker that made them buy Dodge.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Just make sure you spend a bit of time test driving other trucks with that 10 speed automatic. I have it in my new F150 and it took a lot of getting used to. It’s still annoys me sometimes. For a lot of guys I know it was a dealbreaker that made them buy Dodge.
I figured it wouldnt be as weird as the CVT in my wife's car.

That one took me weeks to get used to, you keep expecting a shift....and it never shifts.

81 - 100 of 155 Posts