Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's your favorite stuff to listen to while working? The music that really keeps you motivated.

I know there are a lot of jobs where listening to a boombox is not appropriate but when it is, I feel like music can really pump you up

·
Super Moderator
28,889 Posts
I let who ever im working with choose the music. I work in silence most of the time when alone, which is often as most of my hands on these days is trim or punch. If I listen to my bluetooth head phones I use Pandora, usually classic rock, alternative or the like. Sometimes if im doing a shower or something ill listen to classical.

Country the rest of the time in the truck.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Really dosnt matter what i like cause the mexican music can be heard at concert volume at some of the most recent sites :mad:

·
Punching above his weight
12,103 Posts
If I'm working alone it's either incredible abrasive stuff that borders on straight up noise pollution, or incredibly pensive stuff that also borders on straight up noise pollution.

If I'm working where anybody can hear me it's either NPR or classic/"Best of the XX's" rock.

There's an addendum to classic rock though. You have to adapt the lyrics of whatever song you're listening to to fit the task you're currently working on.

I Heard It Through The Scrape Vine
Sympathy For The Bevel
Rip It

You get it...

·
12,103 Posts
Really dosnt matter what i like cause the mexican music can be heard at concert volume at some of the most recent sites :mad:
My favorite parts of the Latin playlist is that A. they do not care at all if somebody already has a radio on, they're playing their jams anyway, and B. they seem to only play music via cell phone.

Fascinating.

·
Registered
400 Posts
No radios on our sites (a constant struggle for the safety guy) but any other time it's nuthin' but the blues!:thumbup:

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hate that Mexican "banda" music that sounds like polka, with the tuba playing the bass line. That's most of what they play on the radio.

I was listening to hank williams jr. type country stuff for a while but now I've been pretty into salsa... now thats some good stuff

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Depends on what we're doing.

If I'm hanging board, or framing:

1990's-2010 Metal.

If I'm trimming inside:

1920's - present Jazz.

(and not that Kenny G chit, real jazz.)

In between it's an 80's - 00 station on the radio.

·
12,103 Posts
Salsa? Damn. That is too real.

Recently I've been spinning The Replacements and revisiting the collected works of Cameron "Cam'Ron" Giles.

·
12,103 Posts
Depends on what we're doing.

If I'm hanging board, or framing:

1990's-2010 Metal.

If I'm trimming inside:

1920's - present Jazz.

(and not that Kenny G chit, real jazz.)

In between it's an 80's - 00 station on the radio.
This skit perfectly sums up my opinions of jazz:

·
Banned
1 Posts
Anything aggresive
Ramsteinn
D12 -You don't know
Eminem - The way I am
YG - Left,Right, Keenon Jackson (I was a male stripper and my wife well obviously a girl one! This guy is awesome, defending them bitches!)
Rancid
Chamillionaire - Riding dirty

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
Easy Gibson said:
This skit perfectly sums up my opinions of jazz:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EinXg8y0Oc">YouTube Link</a>
Sorry you see it that way.

All the live Jazz, I've ever seen has been a collaboration, meaning:

The musicians take turns "showboating"

All of them, right down to the stand up base and the drummer.

This clip, to me, is actually poking fun at the guy playing guitar, vs. The guy playing banjo.

But in a jazz setting.

(there's also a bit of ridiculousness in this clip as well)

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry you see it that way.

All the live Jazz, I've ever seen has been a collaboration, meaning:

The musicians take turns "showboating"

All of them, right down to the stand up base and the drummer.

This clip, to me, is actually poking fun at the guy playing guitar, vs. The guy playing banjo.

But in a jazz setting.

(there's also a bit of ridiculousness in this clip as well)
Seeing two players trading fours has always been sybiotic, building energy as they move through the sections. Most jazz musicians I've known have been extremely humble, but there are some true egomaniacs in there. My dad had the great opportunity to play with buddy rich (total azzhole egomaniac) as well as dizzy gillespi (extremely kind and great guy). Every genre has its extremes

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
nygutterguy said:
really dosnt matter what i like cause the mexican music can be heard at concert volume at some of the most recent sites :mad:
"radio lobo!!!!!!"

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,469 Posts
Ahhhh...Buddy Rich.

Almost humanly impossible to do what he did.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Mostly Country.

Oldies but Goodies also....

Old Stones, Steppenwolf....etc

And if I'm batching it a gourmet meal, kick ass bottle of wine and some fine Classical music.....

1 - 20 of 90 Posts