Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys how is the work situation over there at the moment me and the family are looking at moving for awhile thats if the green card is aproved...

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Well if you're thinking Canada, which is probably easier to emmigrate to than the US, I would look at either the Vancouver area or Toronto.

I live about 2 hrs north of Toronto, and anytime work gets slow here all I need do is drive the 2 hrs. Lots of work there.

If you are a top notch painter, you will have no trouble getting work. My painter is typically booked 4-6 months in advance.

Weather wise I would choose Vancouver, and I really don't know the work situation there. It is busy right now due to the Olympics, after that, who knows.

I believe our Government is trying to fill the skilled trade void partially with immigration, so this could be a plus for you right now. If you're a licensed painter, I would think they will honour that here being part of the "common wealth". That would allow you to do union work if you choose.

Best of luck :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
hi guys how is the work situation over there at the moment me and the family are looking at moving for awhile thats if the green card is aproved...
Welcome to CT. If you would be so kind as to fill out your profile and do an intro in the introduction section you will get productive responses to your post.

Where are you from and what do you mean by "over there"?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
canada we have no problems with as my wife to be is a canadian citizen she has been in australia for 30yrs now at the moment we are virtually booked out till xmas next year with the volume builder we are with so it wont be till 2011 we are looking at coming over

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
canada we have no problems with as my wife to be is a canadian citizen she has been in australia for 30yrs now at the moment we are virtually booked out till xmas next year with the volume builder we are with so it wont be till 2011 we are looking at coming over
We'll be going great guns by then. Just make sure you bring your snow suit. :laughing:

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
Aussie, I always think of Australia as a place to retire to. What would posess you to come here for work?

Aren't there painting jobs in AUS? If so, I'm on my way:thumbup:

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
Its cold, choose someplace warm.

I'm in Ottawa, Canada, government town plenty of work.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Aussie, I always think of Australia as a place to retire to. What would posess you to come here for work?

Aren't there painting jobs in AUS? If so, I'm on my way:thumbup:

no kidding. It's -22F/-30C right now.

F'n global warming is killing me.

P.s if you are a tree hugging moon maiden, don't come here. We have more than enough already.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Plenty of work at the moment in Melbourne we are booked out till 2011 with 1 builder......if we do 1 new house a week for the year our gross would be around 170,000 to 200,000 dollars and thats just me and the wife doing them

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Plenty of work at the moment in Melbourne we are booked out till 2011 with 1 builder......if we do 1 new house a week for the year our gross would be around 170,000 to 200,000 dollars and thats just me and the wife doing them
You might be better off staying where you are then. Lots of guys here would love to be in your situation.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
P.s if you are a tree hugging moon maiden, don't come here. We have more than enough already.
Are there still english speaking individuals in Calgary? I was there a few years ago and thought my plane was taking a lay-over in china.:laughing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the work is great but the wife wants to go back home for 3mths and i hate sitting around so i would like to work and see the country so virtually it will be a working holiday but we mite look at doing work there untill winter then head back here to australia and do the summer here

1 - 16 of 16 Posts