Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not familiar with wordpress but that is what was used to build my site.It's not the best but a place to start at a cheap price.I'm working on pics of my work to replace the generic on line pics now.
My question are : Where the box is for meta tags and SEO can I just type in the information I want separated by commas and will it code itself?
I would like to get on this while the weather is bad and work is slow.
TIA

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
The meta tags have little if any value. Only the meta description tag has minimal value but I haven't used it in years because it didn't make a difference one way or the other so it wasn't worth the effort. All the others are worthless. I do use the meta copyright but that has nothing to do with SEO.

To improve SEO on WP you'll need an SEO plugin. Without it you can't do custom page titles and other tweaks to improve your SEO where it will make a difference. WP default page titles are pathetic and good page titles are key to getting indexed well. Indexing is the predecessor to ranking.

Since I've not seen your site I have no way of knowing whether the theme used to build it is worth the effort you are seeking to put into it. The prepackaged themes like Twenty Elven, Twelve, and Thirteen are good when customized to your needs. I don't recommend Twenty Ten any more but it might be okay since they updated it. In its older form it wasn't good for devices. The open market is riddled with junk themes and you might have one of those for all I know. For Premium themes I recommend StudioPress and you won't need an SEO plugin because it's built in. Woo Themes also have a great rep but I haven't used them.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
Install Yoast SEO.

Meta Tags are useless in 2014. It's all in the content. Yoast will help a novice user get there pages ranked.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes.It is the site listed in the profile.I let it expire over some issue with Home Advisor.
I am no longer assoiciated with them and they did not have any thing to do with the site.After cancelling my account with them every search for my site seemed to link with them still.That's another story.
I was trying to get some work done on the site to make it better while resolving these issues.That's the reason for the above question.
I understand it would be easier answered after viewing the site but thought it may be a simple question about Wordpress.I have not done websites in a long time so am very outdated in my knowledge of the software to build them.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys very much for the info.I will check it out today.I'm still having a bit of trouble understanding the whole SEO thing but catching on.

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I have a rather extensive background in websites so I handle my own needs. Could mine me better sure. It's just easier/faster for me to do myself than tell someone what I need.

Sounds like you on the other hand would benefit from someone that specializes in this. While it might cost a little in front it will no doubt pay for itself 10 fold depending on your market/service.

There are a few regulars around here that offer what you need. I'd suggest you talking to them.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I do agree .I used to do my own and was pretty fair at it but times have changed in all those years.I've already spent to much listening to the internet pitches of all these big company hacks.Still it's winter and work is slow,Money is tight.I would be happy to contact any refferals from the board and see what we could work out.I know there is some good talent here.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Mako1,

Wordpress is still one of the top cms platforms for websites. With wordpress, you can easily upload custom themes, and plugins that will help you to do what you want.

My favorite plugin for onsite seo is all in one seo, it's free, it's similar to yoast both are good.

With seo, you have onsite seo and offsite seo.

-onsite seo all the stuff you do on your site. Example the meta tags, title tags etc. Onsite seo is still very important, it's making a comeback in a way. I've seen sites rank will with really bad onsite seo and really good onsite seo. However, if your going through the trouble than adding descriptions to pictures really help, as well as the title tags, meta tags, and schema markup.

-Offsite seo
-The stuff we do outside of the website. The big term is called link building. With the recent google updates, the old days of making tons of links that point to your website so that it will rank are pretty much over. However it's still very effective when done correctly.

-Local seo

Refereed to as the google 7pack.

-This can be easy to rank for depending on the competition and what trade your in. You need to build out your citations - ex. yelp google plus page. You can prob find well over 200 citations to make to help your site rank better. The best way is to pick the top ones for your trade. Each site should have relevant pictures, and each site should have a slightly different descriptions.

The key is to make fresh content for your website, than share it with the world. Be a resource and help others. Kind of what I'm doing right now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If you are using Wordpress then you are off to a good start. I would recommend that you switch to the Genesis framework and use a Studiopress theme. I use the Yoast plugin on all my Wordpress websites. Yoast is free and it walks you through a step by step process to improve your on page SEO.

Some of the things Yoast helps with are:

permalinks
H2 headings
Alt tags
SEO title
Meta description

Tells you if you have enough content
Tells if you have out bound links
Checks title page for SEO
Tells if you have your keyword in content
Tells if page title is to long or to short
Tells if URL is SEO friendly

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
That makes two votes for Genesis and StudioPress.
Three votes.:thumbup:

I think meta descriptions are worthwhile for competitive pages where it might be the difference between a click and no-click. There are only three factors on the organic side of SERP's. Ranking, Title and meta description. Value is pretty much in that order.

I wouldn't bother working on meta descriptions for every page but it's worth 30 seconds on a landing page.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Three votes.:thumbup:

I think meta descriptions are worthwhile for competitive pages where it might be the difference between a click and no-click. There are only three factors on the organic side of SERP's. Ranking, Title and meta description. Value is pretty much in that order.

I wouldn't bother working on meta descriptions for every page but it's worth 30 seconds on a landing page.
I would add the permalink/URL to that list. Make sure each page has the key word or phrase for each page in the title (H1), meta description, and URL.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SEO Yoast is amazing. Just set it and forget it. Not that easy but way easier than coding .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts