Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bidding a roof on an addition. The new roof is an extension of the old roof. I know the carpenters are going to rip up some of the old roof to tie in their framing.

How do I cover my butt if the carpenters go tear off crazy and tear off more than a few feet?

I was thinking the line in the proposal that discusses placement of shingles should say: "Install blah shingles over the areas of new construction, as indicated on the specifications, and maximum of 3' onto the existing house."

Good?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
sounds o.k. to me, but I do not know roofing.
You bring up a good point though, because clients can be really steadfast on what they "heard" when they signed up. And its these "fine print" that can make a difference between lidigation, or you loosing money because you want to satisfy the client instead of arguing.
In the flooring industry, sometimes when you start a job, there can be surprises that I could not see that will arise once the installer starts the job. So I stole this from another salesperson about 5 years ago, and I put this in all contracts.
" additional carges may incur due to unforseen circumstances that arise during installation. If this happpens, work will stop and we will discuss additional charges, and client will decide if they want us to continue."

The trick here is UNFORSEEN. If I should have seen it, I will pay for it. But if I run into something like hidden dryrot, I am not going to pay for that unless it was visible. And sometimes clients have other things going on, and the installer sometimes goes out and things are a little different.
this helps cover that.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hate it when we discuss possibilities. Can you do this? Can you do that? I answer the question but they never express an interest in having it done. Then you do the work and the customer says Why didn't you do this? You said you could do that. Hehe "read the proposal" is usually my answer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts