Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new laptop, my problem is cannot get my estimating programs on to new computer I guess because does not have word or excel like old computer.

I don't have disk for either, I down loaded all my documents and photos etc to 8 gb removable disc but windows 7 will not recognize my documents..

Will I have to buy excel and word again, and what about all the data?

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Have you tried www.openoffice.org ?

It will recognize your docs, data, excel. When closing a sheet it will ask you if you wish to maintain the current formatting (Microsoft) or save as an openoffice doc. You may have to associate files / folders to (right click) "Open With" the OOG (that's the abrev). The help section is pretty good.

Other than that you'll have to get some MS office stuff.

Seems to be a problem lately with folks buying laptops, no office suite. Just had a friend over here this week with a new LT same problem, no office suite. Had MS Works which is complete junk other than is allows Dell or whomever to say you'll be able to open all your stuff. The MS works only works for a few months then you have to buy it or a MS Office suite that it prompts you to buy.

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
Yep, Open Office will allow you to open your Word (.doc) or Excel (.xls) files. The formatting might change some and there may be a few incompatibilities, but overall it is an alternative.

Google Docs are another free alternative. You will have the same issues of possible incompatibility with it too.

However, both are free and will work!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
You can't get them on to the new computer ? You can probably get them on to the hard disc but don't have a program loaded that can open them ?

Go to my computer > click your hard drive / disc to see if they're there ? Right click the file / folder > right click "Open With" > You'll see what if any programs you have to open / associate the files you want to open.

You downloaded all you files, doc's etc, most likley from My Documents to your removable disc ???

Did you also load on to the removable disc the "programs for everything to work from. They're typically not moved via My Documents. Probably not because the 8 mb disc would not have enough space for programs.

You need to load up the programs on to your new computer if you have the disc / download if possible. Some programs will not load on more than the original computer because that's all you originally pay for - 1 license.

Don't do a pc to pc transfer / copy of the old hd to the new LT hd. You may lose or corrupt what you have. Instead get a stand alone hd for about $75 and copy / back up the complete pc hd to it. You can then plug it in to the LT and use it as the primary hd. See if all works. Then if you like you can transfer the stand alone hd to the LT, programs, files and all. I will say that on occasion programs may not work unless they are uniquely loaded to a hd and in accordance with the license meaning once loaded to a pc you can't continue to load then at will on other computers.

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
I did down load the openoffice.org great program for free, but I need excel for my software 2007 or 03 otherwise it wont open....I tried but I could be doing something wrong. Thanks..

Open Office does have a spread sheet program (Calc). It should open any .xls program you have. The original Excel format may change.

Also, you can try Google Docs. Nothing to download:
http://docs.google.com

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
Download a trial version of MS Office 2007 for free, or just pay for it. It will open all your Office documents. The only problems is Office 2007 saves all the files in a newer format so trying to open them with anything older than 2007 will not work, but you can save them in the older format.
http://office.microsoft.com/

·
Time Traveler
233 Posts
I've switched to Open Office and the macros are working now that I've switched. I miss a few things in the spreadsheet but I'm enjoying the "freeness" of Open office

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
I have to enable the macros which in openoffice I cannot seem to do, when I click on tools there is no link to enable macros for my estimate program.

Bill Gates is going broke so maybe I should by the software..:eek:
I see from your other thread this whole issue may be moot now. :blink:

If I'm not mistaken, you need to have JRE installed (for Windows) in order to have full functionality of Open Office.

1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I see from your other thread this whole issue may be moot now. :blink:

If I'm not mistaken, you need to have JRE installed (for Windows) in order to have full functionality of Open Office.
I have the computer working now:eek: we will see what happens from here but if you do buy a new computer with windows 7 this is a big issue....

The open office is working but my software will only use excel 03 or 07, I can get it to open in openoffice but don't have all the functions I need.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
IN OOG the Toolbars you use are under View > Toolbar. Check which ones you need to appear.

IN MS excel they're under Tools > Toolbar.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
215 Posts
My desk computer took a dump in December, I kept it so long because of all the software I had installed (nero,photoshop,adobe,office,visio,etc.,etc.,) I misplaced so many of the product codes that I have to buy nearly all that stuff again. windows 7 is cool though. and quad 4 processors make the dang thing fast!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts