Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
How many miles, and how much?

I have been looking for a nice extended to replace my 99 E350 for almost a year. They are either beat down, like mine, or they are just off the lease and they want 20k.

·
Super Moderator
10,744 Posts
Very nice! I have had my 99 for 10 years. Never put a dime into the motor or tranny. Currently has 282ik on it. Body has started to go along with a few other issues. I have no complaints. It has been a great van.

·
Registered
17,271 Posts
When I first went on my own I saw a used gmc truck for sale in the local paper,when I went to check it out it turned out to be a van,being a pickup guy I was goin to just leave

I decided I wasn't going to find anything decent in my price range I got the van and been a van guy ever since:thumbsup:

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Can't beat the econolines, they've stood the test of time.
Chevy Express will...Econolines are nothing but rust buckets around here. They don't last and parts start rusting off. You either see GMC or CHEVY around here. If you see rust it's an Econoline.

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Chevy Express will...Econolines are nothing but rust buckets around here. They don't last and parts start rusting off. You either see GMC or CHEVY around here. If you see rust it's an Econoline.
Actually agree with you 100%
I have a 2000 gmc and 2000 chevy. Both are in excellent shape.Very Little rust on the chassis but body is Perfect.:thumbup: 2006 ford starting to rust in wheel wells already

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Ya Econolines all rust in the same areas, but whenever I see Chevy vans they're always beat up with paint peeling. I think the Econolines have a heavier, more solid feel to them.

In this area you definitely see a lot more Fords.

·
Hair Splitter
18,335 Posts
Ya Econolines all rust in the same areas, but whenever I see Chevy vans they're always beat up with paint peeling. I think the Econolines have a heavier, more solid feel to them.

In this area you definitely see a lot more Fords.
When I started looking 10 years ago the econolines had engine issues and the cargo space wasn't quite the same. Plus you can't kill them. It's not uncommon for them to get 300k plus miles out of them.

Don't get me wrong, even though I grew up in a Chevy plant town, I would buy a Chevy truck. The F series beat Chevy hands down. F250 is in my near future.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When I started looking 10 years ago the econolines had engine issues and the cargo space wasn't quite the same. Plus you can't kill them. It's not uncommon for them to get 300k plus miles out of them.

Don't get me wrong, even though I grew up in a Chevy plant town, I would buy a Chevy truck. The F series beat Chevy hands down. F250 is in my near future.
Aren't the f series and e series essentially the same platform with a different chassis?

I was looking into the express, couldn't find anything that I liked in my price range, so I went with the e series. If you can get a jump on the rust fords will last just as long as anything, just gotta stay on your toes. The frame on this van has some sort of undercoating on it which seems to have helped. I looked at an 01 before I bought this, it's was toast, the a arms were starting to delaminate, and it was just he generally rotten everywhere.

In the winter I take my 09 in to the car wash once or twice a week to spray the salt off it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts