Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when tearing off pre existing siding and you're confronted with some holes in the sheathing due to woodpeckers, how do most of you guys address it?
do you need to fill in the holes with anything(if so ,what)?
or can you just tyvek over the holes and then throw up your siding or insulation board?

·
Jeff
1,485 Posts
Woodpeckers wtf? Cant say ive ever seen woodpecker holes in a house. They must have a major insect problem for woodpeckers to be goin to town on the sheathing.

·
KemoSabe
14,233 Posts
Soon Woodpeckers will morph into Vinylpeckers. :jester:
Man I have to get used to that edit button being there. Anyway, I have had woodpeckers in my gutters. Apparently they like the bugs in there when they are full of leaves.:laughing:

·
Lack Of All Trades
1,232 Posts
when tearing off pre existing siding and you're confronted with some holes in the sheathing due to woodpeckers, how do most of you guys address it?
do you need to fill in the holes with anything(if so ,what)?
or can you just tyvek over the holes and then throw up your siding or insulation board?
I would repair the hole(s). Sheathing is there for a reason. Any holes in it should be repaired. Won't take much time.

Sure, the client will not realize the holes weren't repaired. But you would. How could you sleep at night knowing you didn't repair those holes like you should have! :sad:

Submit a change order and just repair those holes!;)

·
Registered
996 Posts
about woodpeckers

I have repaired several houses with woodpecker holes and I have seen several efforts to thwart the woodpeckers. Mostly electric owls, thing like that. However just the other day I was at a lovely old lady and she had tied tin foil, aluminum foil, to the down pipes on the corners of her house and swears by it. I had never seen this before,

·
Registered
234 Posts
If the holes go through the wood siding and sheating into the wall or attic it's probably a rat or squirrel or even a carpenter bumblebee.
I've never seen woodpeckers do anything but poke holes in the cedar or cypress siding. I never seen them bother fir or pine or go into the sheating.
Woodpecker holes would get me several vinyl siding jobs a year. Loved those woodpeckers. If a person has cedar or cypress siding and are in an area where there are lots of woodpeckers they're going to fight a losing battle against them.
I'd never cover cedar or cypress up with new siding--always a tearoff.
Probably 99% of the stuff I tore off would be eight inch battenboard siding. Sawmills rough sawed the stuff for homeowners and builders in our area.
They'd put the stuff up before it was dry but that's another story.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Since you took the time to post i supose your one of the few whos going to care bout whats right. thats a good thing

use a 3 or 4" holesaw (if that big) cut some plugs the same thickness then a make some pieces of flashing a couple inches biger and screw to slugs to flashing them put a bead around and plug them fill holes.

I treat every home like i might own it someday, I sleep well that way. Its the little easy things that make difference in an honest mans work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts