Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Wooden Lattice over Tyvek???

9K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  woodworkbykirk 
#1 ·
So I was watching Family Renovation on HGTV and noticed they had fastened diagonal lattice over their tyvek, around the whole house.

Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this?

I can't figure out in any way how this would be a good idea as opposed to vertical strapping.

#4 ·
It sounds as though they are trying to achieve a rainscreen detail, although I can think of better solutions to the problem. A rainscreen provides an airgap behind the siding to provide a drainage plane for water as well as create a "chimney effect" to promote air circulation behind the siding to accelerate drying.:thumbsup:

#8 ·
believe it or not, i actually know the specific house your talking about, its around the corner from me. also know who the contractor is, hes a competitor to who i work for.

in regards to the lattice. believe it or not its the standard practice in this region for rain screen for cedar shingles or shakes. cedar breather is also used but its a special order item at the lumber yard and it costs a bloody fortune so the building authority lets us use lattice. the only stipulation is that it has to be 3/8" in order to get a minimum airspace behind the siding. all windows get set first then the lattice goes on. the window can be furred out with 3/8 or 1/2" first and of course sealed with vycor or blueskin otherwise a trim board should get installed around it in order to give a proper edge to caulk to

#9 ·
I am not too familiar with rainscreens, but here in Colorado the temps can have major swings within a day...do you guys ever have problems with moisture in the lattice freezing and heaving or splitting? Or pooling and rotting the siding? Or do I not have the right picture in my head of how this assembles?

#13 ·
Yes , Its a option , I would use something treated instead of fir lath. Im working with a company that makes U shaped 22g gal steel furring strips to create that air gap , Wich is now Oregon code for some types of siding. For better drainage as mentioned above . Thats why you see water marks / stains on the back of removed siding its too tight to the vapor barrier .

#16 ·
Was watching this show the other day and wondering the same thing. I thought it was to keep the Tyvek up durring hurricane season. :eek:

That contractor is nuts for taking that job with those folks living in the house. Either that or they are paying him a bunch to film the ensueing fiasco.

#18 ·
the contractor payed alot of money, yes from what i know hes one of the highest priced renovators around, crazy for getting involved in such a project yes!! my general was approached to do it by the interior designer, he was 75% at no just because it was her, then as soon as she mentioned film crews and tv show he didint want anything to do with it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.