Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Currently building a house with a wood burning fireplace/external chimney pipe (kicks out the side of the house and then up through the roof), and vinyl soffit. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to keep non combustible clearances around the stove pipe where it cuts through the vinyl?

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,796 Posts
I would make something like a storm collar out of metal for the pipe to go through then fasten it to the soffit .
Or you could just use aluminum soffit .

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,796 Posts
Why not use the adapter that goes through the ceiling?
I did not think of that , but that would probably work the best for him.
Looks like he would have to take the stack apart to do that though.
Set it up so it is hanging down some and run the soffit right around it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
759 Posts
I'm not an expert in chimney pipe. But the one I installed at my house is a single wall, black pipe from the stove to the ceiling adapter. Then from that point on, it is all double wall stainless steel pipe. The adapter carries the weight of the chimney and also allows the two different pipes to connect.

This application looks like it would be stainless double/triple wall pipe connected to the same pipe. The ceiling adapter has dissimilar connections on either side.

Also the painted finish on the adapter does not seem like it would hold up well outside. I would call the pipe manufacturer and ask what they suggest/carry for this situation. If they are no help a fabrication shop could easily weld up some stainless to suit your application.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
That was my first thought, but NJ makes a good point. Wonder how well it would hold up. But I guess it would be on the under side, so not a lot of weather and little sun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts