Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a fence up around my yard but am unsure which to go with, vinyl or wood. I know the cost difference but just wanted to know any pros and cons from anyone with experience with vinyl fences. I have heard from some that they break easily.

·
General Contractor
1,035 Posts
I know they melt pretty easily - seen it on the news the other night. Some guy was burning his field and it got a little close to his vinyl fence.
Pros of vinyl...
1. won't rot
2. if a board is knocked out it usually can be saved and replaced
3. if installed correctly it can be replaced without pulling up any concrete
4. won't fade (most of them anyway)
Pros of wood...
1. strength - not going to buckle enough to pop out of the notches - but it'll break
2. if installed correctly it won't rot for many years - typically will need replaced because it fades out before it rots

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unregistered said:
I want to put a fence up around my yard but am unsure which to go with, vinyl or wood. I know the cost difference but just wanted to know any pros and cons from anyone with experience with vinyl fences. I have heard from some that they break easily.

Vinyl=maintenance free long term fencing

Wood=maintenance needed; short term depending on how you keep up

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Don't know where you're from but they fly faster and farther in hurricanes.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teetorbilt said:
Don't know where you're from but they fly faster and farther in hurricanes.

Everything will fly. All depends on how you prepare for such a disaster. If you live in an area where you have high force winds or things will "fly faster" then prepare for that in your installation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts