Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
The best way to save material is to get three rips from a sheet instead of one. 36" is just a bad idea IMHO.

Sometimes my best work is talking people down from a bad idea.

I'll add a couple pictures to this thread to show another example of kid's lockers that are more like 16" deep at the top and 22" or so at the bottom. These proportions seem to work for a lot of people. I'm sure something similar will work for your friends too.

Property Room Furniture Building Architecture

Property Furniture Room Wood stain Cupboard

Reactions: mikeswoods

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Yes i agree that 36 is deep, but that's what they are wanting. Going 36 vs 24 will just about double material price since i'll have so much waste. I will put together a bid for a 36" and 24" and they may decide 24" is best.

Appreciate your input, and i didn't take it negative.

I haven't read all of this---so if my comments don't make sense,sorry.

Your proposed depth will be a disappointment---

Save yourself from the sour looks---build a mock up section using some sheet Styrofoam insulation and show them how deep you believe the cabinets should be---

A standard residential closet is only 24" deep----most sports cabinets are 14" deep to a maximum of 24"---bigger is not better if it looks clunky and becomes a clutter catch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The best way to save material is to get three rips from a sheet instead of one. 36" is just a bad idea IMHO.

Sometimes my best work is talking people down from a bad idea.

I'll add a couple pictures to this thread to show another example of kid's lockers that are more like 16" deep at the top and 22" or so at the bottom. These proportions seem to work for a lot of people. I'm sure something similar will work for your friends too.

View attachment 102593

View attachment 102594
Thanks for the input Gus. And great job on those lockers. They look great. I like the color too.

I haven't read all of this---so if my comments don't make sense,sorry.

Your proposed depth will be a disappointment---

Save yourself from the sour looks---build a mock up section using some sheet Styrofoam insulation and show them how deep you believe the cabinets should be---

A standard residential closet is only 24" deep----most sports cabinets are 14" deep to a maximum of 24"---bigger is not better if it looks clunky and becomes a clutter catch.
Not a bad idea on building a mock up. I think i can convince them on going smaller on the three lockers for their boys, but they want a set of much larger ones for themselves to replace the cheap white home depot ones they have.

I do agree with everyone though and think smaller is better. Thanks again everyone for the input.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts